• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bridge Demo.

RoadDoc

Here are some pictures of a rehab. job we did in Georgia.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,547
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,542
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,543
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,544
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,568

Lashlander

You say a Rehab? Did you save the piling bents with caps or did you replace everything? Why did it need to be rehabbed? I always hated tearing out docks and bridges. An awful lot of potencial for an accident.

RoadDoc

This is the oldest part of or rather the original bridge from when this section of interstate was built. I believe this deck was a 1964 model. It is a deck girder design. The beams are integral to the deck. That's why the "rehab." seems more like a "demo." The piers were perfectly fine. The deck itself was worn out. As a matter of fact, we weren't going to start the job with this deck. I got a call one night from DOT as we were heading home from the job. A portion of the deck started to fail and they needed us to come back and fix a "pothole." By the time everyone got back and we had traffic control up, the "pothole" was as big as a half sheet of plywood. All the big cheeses came out and were looking around while the patch was curing out. They told us to leave the closure in and just go ahead and start the demo. right then and there.... :eek:

The rest of the bridge was added on in the 80's or early 90's. (Parapet wall, and inside lanes) Those portions are in great shape so the DOT elected to just replace the old deck. We cleaned everything up, set some new precast beams and tied a new deck to everything else. Not a pretty process but, the DOT found it to be the best way to go in this case.

Lashlander

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes it way cheaper to start from scratch than to repair. Were starting a 10 million dollar rehab on a Coast Guard pier here in town when they could have had a new dock for around 7 million. They have all the money in the world for repairs but no money to build new. The game playing mentality astounds me. I'll just keep shoving that paycheck in my pocket every Friday though!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Very intresting. Thanks for the pics and description. As stated its more like a demo than a rehab :D

D5G

Great pics, got any more? Did you guys to the concrete cutting yourselves or did you sub it out?

RoadDoc

Here are some more pics. We subcontracted the sawing to a company we are closely affiliated with. We do a lot of our own cutting too. Our guys were busy out of town for this job.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,230
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,220
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,217

RoadDoc

more

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Bridge 1and 4 nb demolition, Houston and Dooly Counties 012.jpg
    Bridge 1and 4 nb demolition, Houston and Dooly Counties 012.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,172

Lashlander

Nice pictures. Thats a heck of a saw. Don't think I've ever seen one that big. Is the Linkbelt crane your companies. I do like Linkbelts Cranes.

D5G

Awesome pics! Love the demo equipment, what size is the Link - Belt Crane?

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Great Pic's no doubt. Used to hate taking out the old concrete beams here in Michigan. Salt would penetrate the decks and make beams unstable as heck. The worst part was lifting these rotten beams unaware if they would fail under the stress of the steel chokers. Worse than that was old method of using deflector shields on freeways to demo decks, usually at night so as to keep a single lane of traffic open. Lots of anxious moments there.

RoadDoc

The saw is a 100 hp Core Cut. It has a Chevy Vortec V-6 on it. We have already gone to all diesel saws from Husqvarna. Our biggest one to date is an 88 hp. Our friends (subcontractor) in the pictures have gone diesel as well. They are partial to Core Cut and have some of their new 99 hp models.

The Link Belt belongs to the bridge contractor that helped us replace the deck. As we are a maintenance contractor, it helped tons to have some real professionals with the new deck. The crane is just over two years old now. It is a Hylab 138. 80 ton capacity. They are enjoying the modern iron, however, the old timers on the crew are partial to their old friction rigs. Some of our beams were rather stubborn to break free. I was impressed with the power they were able to apply to said beams......

We have to employ the same techniques here as you do in Michigan when over traffic. These were a little easier as to their location.

Last edited:

insleyboy

Occupation
He's guiding the blade for sure as to not cut the beam. Upon further review of the original pics....were you guys picking the beams with chain?

RoadDoc

Incorrect Rigging

Some of the big saw operators have to use their body weight and a lot of grunting to get what they want out of their machine. Others keep their wheels aligned and spend time riding the handlebars.:D Either way, it is a tough job. Bridge demo can be really hazardous for these guys. Have seen saw and operator drop through due to incorrect layout of cut lines.:eek:

As to the rigging.... Must confess the sin of using a chain sling on that pick.:pointhead The crane operator's enthusiasm to loosen a stubborn beam with his boss' new 80 ton crane exceeded the WLL of the cable slings I was required to provide them.:Banghead A new and much larger diameter set arrived the next morning and provided excellent service for the remainder of the job.

Good safety eye on that one!:cool2

insleyboy

Occupation
You bet RoadDoc. Had a boss that showed the fatal flaws of how chains give you no warning. Wish more people would heed the warnings but sometimes the chain is a quick substitute. We've all done it....Happy Holidays

RoadDoc

My bad.... again. Didn't notice the hard hat after loosing my mind over how slow he cut. Everytime I rolled up on the site, he's shut down shooting the bull with someone. Ended up having to babysit the entire shift. And no, they didn't have someone to come take his place. I talked to the owner of his company twice that day. That operator ended up refusing to work on my jobs anymore, etc., etc. Not one of my better days as a construction professional.... didn't demonstrate effective leadership. :Banghead:(