• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bridge demo

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
here are some pics of a job i was helping a friend on the crane we were using was a old american 5510 the hoe was a cat 318 took us about a week and half to tear it down and build a new one

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 720
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 721
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 722
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 720
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 716

fireman050

Occupation
around 40+ years old

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 685
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 686
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 685

fireman050

Occupation
last of the pics

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 683
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 679
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 685

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
:Cowboy
Note to all wanna be excavator operators, look at first picture and make a note to NEVER put you or your machine in a similar position. :Banghead
There is not one reason I can see in the photos that the undercarriage was not spun 90 deg. :soapbox

Sorry Fireman, great pics and thanks for sharing. :drinkup

ben46a

Well if he slid or the bank let go in the first pick he'dve been screwed. Turn the tracks 90* and there wouldnt be anything to worry about. 99% of excavator tipping photos are because the operator worked at a ledge with the tracks crossways and it gave in.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
what do you mean by the undercarriage spinning ninety degrees?

Well if he slid or the bank let go in the first pick he'dve been screwed. Turn the tracks 90* and there wouldnt be anything to worry about. 99% of excavator tipping photos are because the operator worked at a ledge with the tracks crossways and it gave in.

Thanks Ben, that is exactly what I was getting at. :thumbsup

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
:Cowboy
Note to all wanna be excavator operators, look at first picture and make a note to NEVER put you or your machine in a similar position. :Banghead
There is not one reason I can see in the photos that the undercarriage was not spun 90 deg. :soapbox

Those are pretty strong words for someone that wasn't there. I can think of several possible reasons why there was no need to have his idlers facing his work. With that timber enbutment there nothing is going to cave in. You can call me MR. Wannabe Excavator Operator :rolleyes:

fireman050

Occupation
Those are pretty strong words for someone that wasn't there. I can think of several possible reasons why there was no need to have his idlers facing his work. With that timber enbutment there nothing is going to cave in. You can call me MR. Wannabe Excavator Operator :rolleyes:
finally somebody understands plus if he would have turned his tracks 90 degrees half of his tracks would have been over the ledge

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
I have to agree, while usually operating over the side is not the best way, in this case in the third pic you can see how digging over the front can be tipsy. Sometimes the job requires a less than perfect approach;)

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
cross carriage

The point I was trying to emphasise to less experienced operators was the danger of sitting parrallel to a drop off while working.
By turning his tracks to face the excavation he would be able to travel forward and backwards in far more safety than operating in the position he is in now.
A less experienced op could easily snag something solid and frighten himself and panic with the worst case senario of coming off the side.
Straight on he might rock a little but he would be a darn sight safer. :IMO
I dont really want to get in a pissing contest with you, but I would be intrested in your possible reasons why there was no need to face the excavation, apart from the obvious, highly experienced op and the timber wasn't going to give way.
Rob, :drinkup

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
finally somebody understands plus if he would have turned his tracks 90 degrees half of his tracks would have been over the ledge

Fireman, with his tracks straight he could travel out so over half his track was sticking over the edge, with his bucket down in the excavation/hole he would have been a safer position than in that first pic :IMO Grab what he wanted then track backwards till on level ground.

fireman050

Occupation
Fireman, with his tracks straight he could travel out so over half his track was sticking over the edge, with his bucket down in the excavation/hole he would have been a safer position than in that first pic :IMO Grab what he wanted then track backwards till on level ground.
well at the time even if he wanted to spin the undercarriage he could not because of the truck and the road barriers behind him

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I agree with your point Rob for an inexperienced operator and even some experienced ones too. IMO that is just a bold statement to make off these pics. I don't know what he is trying to do or why he is doing that way nor do I care to try a debate it really.