• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bridge Collasp

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Here is a job we got called to clean up today. There is a creek that runs through the center of town. The property owner has owned this piece of property for several years, the previous owners place I beams and poured concrete at some point many years ago. Yesterday morning a worker parked their vehicle went inside and they heard a crash and the bridge area had collapsed, taking their vehicle into the hole. Some of the area is green space and some is gravel that the drive on everyday, with semi's boom trucks etc. The collapsed area is 25' X 60' a structural engineer arrived today will come back tomorrow, looks live the entire area will need to be remove, this is a very tight area.

Had to use the T300 to bring debris to the excavator, I couldn't or wouldn't cross over the bridge to get the debris with the excavator, the bridge had approximately 3" of deflection with the Skid steer alone. We have had to use the PC200 to lower the Bobcat into the waterway, we used 2 unless loop lifting straps rated for 21,500lb each. We have had to do this a couple of times before for special jobs.

Attachments

• 100_0566.jpg
    100_0566.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 989
  • 100_0570.jpg
    100_0570.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 982
  • 100_0572.jpg
    100_0572.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 977
  • 100_0565.jpg
    100_0565.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 987
  • 100_0576.jpg
    100_0576.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 985
Last edited:

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Dang that does look to be a mess. Did the Structural engineer have anything intelligent to say? :D

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Good job Bill, its bloody lucky nobody got hurt or was in the vehicle.

Can you imagine just parking for a moment to take a sip of soda or something? It is good no one was injured but if it had been my luck I would have been in the truck when it failed. :eek:

bill5362

Occupation
Well the structural engineer came today with a 2nd engineer. They are still working on a solution, but they are think about put a new I Beam between the existing beams making them 4' on center. The only problem with this is getting a 25' beam in place next to the exist with out remove the decking, and the top flanges on the beams or most dissolved away, and the webbing is gone as well.

It good that no one was hurt in this accident

bill5362

Occupation
Bear it was funny to hear the manager the story of seeing the tree and truck disappear out of his window, he said "That is just something you don't see everyday, a tree disappear" It made me chuckle...

bill5362

Occupation
Bobcat S330 well I love it, in fact I have 2 T300's. I bought one new in 2007, and like it so much that I bought a good used 2005. I had a S300 before and it was great sold it and bought the 2007 T300.

Before I purchased the 2007 one I tried a Komatsu, Takeuchi, Cat, and John Deere, and in MY OPINION ONLY I liked the Bobcat the best. I been a big fan of Bobcat but every few years I try others to see what if anything I missing. Before there are nasty comments this is just my opinion.

Bobcat s330

Bobcat S330 well I love it, in fact I have 2 T300's. I bought one new in 2007, and like it so much that I bought a good used 2005. I had a S300 before and it was great sold it and bought the 2007 T300.

Before I purchased the 2007 one I tried a Komatsu, Takeuchi, Cat, and John Deere, and in MY OPINION ONLY I liked the Bobcat the best. I been a big fan of Bobcat but every few years I try others to see what if anything I missing. Before there are nasty comments this is just my opinion.

Yeah i hear that.. If you say bobcat is the best you get a lot of nasty comments.. But in my opinion i like them the best to.

bill5362

Occupation
Bobcat S330 do you have a S330, or what machine do you have. I have looked at the T320, and I would love to have one but we just don't have the work right now. I have heard they are going to come out with T380 soon, and the cab is suppose to have so improvements.
I also have a Bobcat 442 mini excavator (Love it), had a 331 before and just wasn't big enough.

Bobcat s330

Bobcat S330 do you have a S330, or what machine do you have. I have looked at the T320, and I would love to have one but we just don't have the work right now. I have heard they are going to come out with T380 soon, and the cab is suppose to have so improvements.
I also have a Bobcat 442 mini excavator (Love it), had a 331 before and just wasn't big enough.

Yes i own a bobcat s330 and a few other bobcat machines.. I ran the 442 its a nice machine.. Check bobcat.com they have there new excavators listed.. The e80 they now call it is replacing the 442.. Yes t380 with an all new cab

bill5362

Occupation
New Models

Yes i own a bobcat s330 and a few other bobcat machines.. I ran the 442 its a nice machine.. Check bobcat.com they have there new excavators listed.. The e80 they now call it is replacing the 442.. Yes t380 with an all new cab

I just looked at the e80 and it looks like a sweet machine, I would like to look at the cab. I won't be trading anytime soon, have way too invested in mine to trade. Looking forward to see what the T380 looks like, if you see any pics give me a shout. Thanks Bill

Bobcat s330

I just looked at the e80 and it looks like a sweet machine, I would like to look at the cab. I won't be trading anytime soon, have way too invested in mine to trade. Looking forward to see what the T380 looks like, if you see any pics give me a shout. Thanks Bill

IT does look like a sweet machine all the new models do. If i see any pics i will give you shout. Bill what didnt you like about deere,cat, and tak machines?

bill5362

Occupation
Well against my better judgment I will give my own personal opinion and assessment. One qualifier is that I prefer hand controls, not joy stick controls. I like to be able to feel how much forward or reverse pressure I'm apply to the drives with hand controls. I know a lot of people love joy stick on CTL or skid steers but I'm not one of them, I also have a A220 with joy stick controls and my guys don't like the joy stick either.

I'm sure this will get some nasty comments, and remember this is just my opinion, I'm sure the other machines work great for others and the type of work they do.

Deere- I didn't like the visibility out of the cab in the way the lift arms block my view the the attachments I use. I thought the power is ok.

Cat - Was my least favorite of all the machines, it is faster on ground speed than the others but I thought the hydraulic are weaker I couldn't going a pile of dirt and keep pushing and be able to lift, had to let out and then lift. I thought the cab was pretty comfortable. I good friend of mine has a new cat and the t300 out worked in side by side even thou it has a faster ground speed than the t300

Tak- I felt it was a good machine plenty of power, but I hated the feel of the controls felt like it was very jerky to operate.

Komatsu - I love their full size excavators and I think they should stick to them and let someone else build CTL.

Bobcat s330

Well against my better judgment I will give my own personal opinion and assessment. One qualifier is that I prefer hand controls, not joy stick controls. I like to be able to feel how much forward or reverse pressure I'm apply to the drives with hand controls. I know a lot of people love joy stick on CTL or skid steers but I'm not one of them, I also have a A220 with joy stick controls and my guys don't like the joy stick either.

I'm sure this will get some nasty comments, and remember this is just my opinion, I'm sure the other machines work great for others and the type of work they do.

Deere- I didn't like the visibility out of the cab in the way the lift arms block my view the the attachments I use. I thought the power is ok.

Cat - Was my least favorite of all the machines, it is faster on ground speed than the others but I thought the hydraulic are weaker I couldn't going a pile of dirt and keep pushing and be able to lift, had to let out and then lift. I thought the cab was pretty comfortable. I good friend of mine has a new cat and the t300 out worked in side by side even thou it has a faster ground speed than the t300

Tak- I felt it was a good machine plenty of power, but I hated the feel of the controls felt like it was very jerky to operate.

Komatsu - I love their full size excavators and I think they should stick to them and let someone else build CTL.

very good reviews.. yes komatsu def should let someone else build there ctl. John deere has the loudest cabs in the industry and terrible visibility to the sides the loader arms block the tires. Tak def has a lot of power in there machines probably the most power out of any ctl. Problem with them is loud cabs and touchy controls. Cat has a very nice cab and great ground speed. Terrible rear visibility and weak hydraulics.

bill5362

Occupation
Well we may have to stay together we might get some hate mail, but well said. I do agree with the loud cabs on deere. They sound deadening package on Bobcats work really well.

Bobcat s330

Well we may have to stay together we might get some hate mail, but well said. I do agree with the loud cabs on deere. They sound deadening package on Bobcats work really well.

Yes loud cabs on the deere and i hit my head 3 times getting into there cab with that slide up door. Plus getting into that cab its very hard to place your foot down with that big black piece right in the middle of the cab. I hope no hate mail im only telling the truth. I have the sound package on my s330 works GREAT

mudmaker

What are the newer Cases like compared to the others?? I havent run anything new other than my former boss' deere, but I still love my old faithful 1845C.

Bobcat s330

What are the newer Cases like compared to the others?? I havent run anything new other than my former boss' deere, but I still love my old faithful 1845C.

The 1845 case was one of there best machines. I know a few guys that like the new case machines and a few guys that dont. Theres a lot of mixed reviews with the case machines. I dont see many in my area at all