1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Breaking ripper bolts and chauffeuring baby birds around

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Oldcatpusher, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Oldcatpusher

Oldcatpusher Well-Known Member

Been a long week. Broke all the bolts on ripper cylinder for the 3rd time. Can't take much up pressure. They're grade 8. 1/2"x 3 1/4 Should I go with a grade 9 or does anyone have a better ideal. Ripper can't take much up pressure. At least the birds have got smarter and went for a safer home rather then building in the exhaust and getting shot out like an astronaut come Monday morning

Attached Files:

2. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

Are you running with the piston bottomed against the head.... You will have the hydraulic force on the base of the piston AND external forces that way

3. Oldcatpusher

Yes I try to keep it up all the way to keep rippers from dragging. Aftermarket kenco rippers. 3rd cylinder they've gave me. I don't think they go up far enough. They go down plenty far though. Maybe I need to add an inch or two to the rod.

4. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

You know what I'm saying... that will do it

Looks like there is room on there for 5/8"

5. Oldcatpusher

That's what I was thinking. Bigger bolts. I like my equipment over built. We dont usually get easy regular jobs. It's either swamp or rocks

6. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

Have you checked the cyl, to see if the rod is bent or draggin, somewhere?;)

7. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

Yeah. Only other thing you need to check is the rod stud size. Need to calculate strength. No point I upgrading the head flange if you will then bust the rod