• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brazing cast - what's too big to bother with?

didjit

howdy

im wondering if there's a rule of thumb as to what is the limit for the size of a hole that can be brazed shut. I remember when brazing cracks, to drill a hole at each end of the crack and rout it out with a burr before going in with the rod. anyway, i have a hole in the link from the manifold to the turbochager that is about 3/16 and dunno if it's a waste of time to even consider brazing it, or if i should get busy hunting down a new one.

i'm sure someone here knows the answer!

thanks all!

Last edited:

Dualie

I have seen a good welder braze up a 3/4" hole. I think 3/16 shouldn't be that big of a challenge.

didjit

Why not drill and tap it to 1/4" npt and put a pipe plug in ?

honestly, because I didn't think of doing it ;)

Which is why I'm here. It's also why i just slapped myself for not thinking of it.

Thanks! This is a great suggestion!