• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brand new Kubota SVL65-2...can't keep the engine running

Welder Dave

Hopefully it is something simple but I'd still be trying to get Kubota to cover the cost of hiring the mechanic and should supply you with a functional fuel cap although that's minor. The dealer did nothing for you except take your money and tell you off when you had a problem. Time to post the dealer name to warn others about their complete lack of customer service. Not posting their name is saying you're OK with it. They can't come after you for posting about their lack of customer service if you're worried about that. At the very least they should have offered to pay for a local mechanic to evaluate the machine and see if they could fix it reasonably. If it was more extensive then look at trying to get it to the dealer. Hopefully it's a couple hour repair or less.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think the OP "dropped the mike". I too would really like to hear how this is going.

NoobAsNoobGets

Just got the machine working about thirty minutes ago. We simply pulled out the tube that goes to the fuel filter, it had some bark gunk in its tiny diameter, blew on the fuel filler hole to make it squirt out the tube, put the tube back and it hums. Ran and completed its first DPF cycle and drove it back to our place without issue.

So the issue appears to be that the first day I used the machine for about 8 hours then drove it back and noticed my fuel cap in front of me (and realized I had just did about 8 hours in the woods without a fuel cap on) resulted in it getting bark gunk in the fuel system. I hadn't even tough the fuel filler cap or put fuel in it or anything, it came straight from the dealer brand new and the fuel filler cap fell off (which it did days later again after I put the cap back on).

Guy we hired to come take a look at it charged us $85 an hour and billed us three hours. All is well that ends well! I expect this will likely happen again at some point, so hopefully we'll just repeat the fix this time and it will be good. I imagine there must be much more bark still in the fuel system.

heymccall

Soooo, back in post #5, I mentioned that I took the filler neck off the tank and put a piece of window screen across the mouth, pushed the hose back on, and then reclamped the hose.

NoobAsNoobGets

Soooo, back in post #5, I mentioned that I took the filler neck off the tank and put a piece of window screen across the mouth, pushed the hose back on, and then reclamped the hose.
And as I mentioned, this was a brand new machine and I had not even touched the fuel filler cap ever, and this happened within the first three hours of having the machine. So I hadn't yet gotten to the point of thinking that I should have to modify my brand new machine in case the fuel filler cap fell off unlike every other machine out there that has a fuel cap.

Welder Dave

I'd still be asking the dealer to cover the cost and see if there is an update to the fuel cap. Was the fuel cap not put on properly or just a bad design that it won't stay on? Either way dealer should be offering a fix since it was nothing you did to make it fall off.

heymccall

Defective?
I have an SVL75 and an SVL75-2, neither with a fuel cap problem.
My plugged lines come from dirty fuel nozzles (they lay the nozzles loose in the landscaper trucks, even though they have a dock for every nozzle). :(

crane operator

Glad you got it running. Flush out the tank, and all the lines, and fill with fresh fuel. Or you will keep fighting the issue. If it was mine, the tank would come out and get totally cleaned out.

Evidently, you live on the backside of beyond, so you're going to have to learn to work on this stuff yourself, time to be a little more self sufficient. You know there's a problem, fix it before it leaves you stranded in the woods again.

I don't think the fuel cap is a warranty deal, learn how to check over your machine before you run it. If the cap keeps falling off, cut the fill neck off and install a different style neck with a different style cap. Put a mesh screen on it like heymccall suggests.

You know now, that warranty service is a six hour truck trip away, so warranty means nothing. Its your machine, READ the owners manual. BUY a shop manual if its available. LOOK over the machine before you run it. The dealer isn't going to come and do your "preoperational" checks. The dealer is going to do nothing for you.

NoobAsNoobGets

I'd still be asking the dealer to cover the cost and see if there is an update to the fuel cap. Was the fuel cap not put on properly or just a bad design that it won't stay on? Either way dealer should be offering a fix since it was nothing you did to make it fall off.

I'm not sure. It made a four hour trip from the dealer to us with the cap on, then drove a mile up a trail to our place, then I did a couple hours of work before it fell off. I put it back on after I saw it on my return trip in front of me, and I thought I put it back on but it fell off again. Eventually while messing with it after that I broke it and now I like it. The twisting top part with the key slot is broken off and it's just the back half that plugs the hole. I just twist it on and it stays on. I twist it off and it comes off. Minus not being able to "lock" the flimsy thing that anybody could break if they wanted to, it works great now. We bought a new one but I'm happy with it the way it is now because it stays on.

NoobAsNoobGets

Glad you got it running. Flush out the tank, and all the lines, and fill with fresh fuel. Or you will keep fighting the issue. If it was mine, the tank would come out and get totally cleaned out.

Evidently, you live on the backside of beyond, so you're going to have to learn to work on this stuff yourself, time to be a little more self sufficient. You know there's a problem, fix it before it leaves you stranded in the woods again.

I don't think the fuel cap is a warranty deal, learn how to check over your machine before you run it. If the cap keeps falling off, cut the fill neck off and install a different style neck with a different style cap. Put a mesh screen on it like heymccall suggests.

You know now, that warranty service is a six hour truck trip away, so warranty means nothing. Its your machine, READ the owners manual. BUY a shop manual if its available. LOOK over the machine before you run it. The dealer isn't going to come and do your "preoperational" checks. The dealer is going to do nothing for you.

Yup. I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me to try to avoid this in the future. I gotta think there is much more bark waiting to repeat this fiasco in the future. The piece of bark that came out of the tube was like the size of again of rice. There must be a bunch more waiting. I'm not going to be taking the tank out of this thing up here where I'm at, I don't think, given our lack of infrastructure and tools and such but I could drive it a mile down to the road and hire somebody to haul it to a shop to do that. Think that would be worth doing?

Welder Dave

See if the tank has a drain. Then you could flush it out a few times with solvent. You could also access the fuel tank through the sending unit for the gauge or the filler to put a suction line in to clean it out. Block the machine so the liquid goes to one corner that is closest to where you access the tank. I think using an air compressor to make a vacuum would work.

heymccall

Went and serviced my SVL75-2 the other day. Grabbed a picture.
Right arrow is a clear inline screen.
Left arrow is FM100 assembly in place of the water bowl.
The inline screen let's me see what's coming out of the tank and prevents plugging of the inlet elbow of the water separator from Bark, etc.

I currently didn't have the water bowl for that FM100.

Screenshot_20191211-100029_Photos.jpg