• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brand new Cat 289D

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I highly recommend the triple idlers. I see a lot of the operators in my area run the tracks off weekly. Lots of tight turning in packed places though. The RTD feature can be turned on for a small fee. The dealer has to turn it in in the computer.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
2 different pictures of 299d. One with a straight boom one with a curved. I do not like the straight boom.

durallymax

Why don't you like the newer straight boom? Visibility is better, auxiliaries are in the boom, and you can actually see the attachment plate now. It's kind of eggs and unrefined looking plus if kinda looks weak, but I like it. The one person boom lock is nice too.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
To be completely honest I do not have any hands on experience with the new boom. I think visually it just looks kind old school like a 580b back hoe. With the pin bosses welded on the outside of the boom like that and being a straight piece of material just looks like you said unrefined. I guess as long as it is tough and the operator has better visibility then I does not matter what it looks like. :) and to the op, congrats on the new machine. I do have a customer with a 262c and it has not been his favorite machine.

spatterfree

actually i think that new boom is very good, better visibility and it feels sturdy, also Cat lowered the front of the boom so it's easier to climb in..
Tracks.... what do you mean with 3 idlers in the back? i see a multi terrain track with rollers on bottom, but don't see more or less idlers in the back.

To be completely honest I do not have any hands on experience with the new boom. I think visually it just looks kind old school like a 580b back hoe. With the pin bosses welded on the outside of the boom like that and being a straight piece of material just looks like you said unrefined. I guess as long as it is tough and the operator has better visibility then I does not matter what it looks like. :) and to the op, congrats on the new machine. I do have a customer with a 262c and it has not been his favorite machine.

spatterfree

and the 262 has been great, only issue we had was, joystick wasn't calibrated properly, skid loader wasn't driving straight.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Yea my customers machine has had Ac problems 3 times now.(currently out again) engine oil pressure codes, and turns out a wiring harness causing erratic drive controls. Machine had 3 trips to holt cat. new controllers, new ECM and eventually a harness but was down for a total of about 3 weeks for the one problem.

On edit his previous machine was a 236b with minimal issues until it ate a drive motor at about 4k hours.

Last edited:

durallymax

Yeah it looks ugly, but has a lot of advantages for visibility, climbing in and out, and maintenance. Not sure if its stronger or not. The C series booms looked a lot more refined, but the look of the D series is starting to grow on me. At first they looked like an ugly old 252B but now I don't mind it as much and you can definatley spot a D series from a mile away.

Yea my customers machine has had Ac problems 3 times now.(currently out again) engine oil pressure codes, and turns out a wiring harness causing erratic drive controls. Machine had 3 trips to holt cat. new controllers, new ECM and eventually a harness but was down for a total of about 3 weeks for the one problem.

On edit his previous machine was a 236b with minimal issues until it ate a drive motor at about 4k hours.

Is this the 262C you mentioned before? Our AC was a nightmare too. Just impossible to keep everything cleaned out and working right. D series is 1,000 times better. Evaporator and heater core sealed to the cab, condensor mounted to the door and easy to clean, life is good now. I think they must have doubled the blower speed too. Most of the summer level 1 on the blower was still too cold. They do a terrible job of mixing though, they may have a million "clicks" on that temperature dial but the reality is you get freezing air conditioning, fresh air, heated air.