• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brake Problem

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm having trouble with the brakes on my equipment trailer, they're electric. Less than a year ago I had new linings and magnets installed. I pulled a wheel today and they are like new. I also adjusted up the brakes. I've got some activation back there, but they won't lock the wheels like DOT wants, in fact, the trailer won't hold a hill with just them on. I'm using a Jordan controller with a manual override and can send full power back to the brakes, makes no difference.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
More than likely its a ground issue, check to make sure your ground runs all the way from the brakes to the trailer plugs and to the battery. check to make sure that the controller is also grounded back to the battery and getting power from the battery.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've determined that the problem is on the trailer, I towed it today with another truck and had the same results. I'll take a look at the ground like you suggest, thanks!

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
It also could be the magnets. I have seen one bad magnet draw current weird and make the other magnets less effective.

I would check the grounds and all connections first and then check each magnent at a time. Energize each one individually, to make sure they are working and see how much current they are drawing.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
The problem you describe is almost always a grounding problem. To see if that is the problem, rig an extension cord to connect your trailer brake ground to the battery in your tow vehicle. If the problem persists, it is most likely one of the magnets shorting on you. If the problem goes away, then you can start searching for the ground problem. Good luck - I know these problems can be very frustrating.