• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brake footvalve is hard to push

coastlogger

88 International single axle dump. Brake footvalve is firewall mounted with plunger from pedal going up from bottom.
Pedal has been very hard push to get much braking lately. Brakes are good. Maxis will lock up wheels,adjusters are to spec etc. Really put your leg into it and itll stop but its not as it should be.Valve is a 574787-C91 which mrs Google says crosses to a bendix 101818X (E7?). Found some info on the bendix valve. Sounds like Im in "emergency mode(failure of primary supply)the secondary inlet valve is mechanically opened by a push thru mechanical force from the drivers foot via the footpedal,plunger and primary piston". If I read this right the usual scene is for the valve to act like a relay with normal minimal pedal pressure being needed but Im in emergency mode with no relay helping.
Looking for advice on troublleshooting this. There are two reservoir gauges,no idea why,and no application gauge. The truck is an ex highways sand plow etc truck and I guess the extra reservoir is for accessories maybe.If the primary supply has failed I guess I can prove that by removing a line but which one? I think theres likely something gummed up in valve but looking for as much background as possible before I take it apart. The valve is not expensive I just dont want to buy one then find out Ive missed some other issue that is really the problem.Anyone got a link to a good airbrake system diagnostic site?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Under dash linkage on these was less than maintainable, get the Treadle Valve off the firewall and clean up the linkage, this will be a E-7 type. Next up how did you pass your Driver License exam, dual air supply system is part of our testing questions here, Red is front, Green is rear axle supplies, separated for necessity should one have a mass leak the other will still function in theory to stop the machine. No need of applied pressure gauges, just a added distraction on large car dashboards.

Dual-circuit air system - SGI