• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought this Freightliner FL112

ichudov

Bought this truck today on IronPlanet. It is a 2009 truck with a 450HP Mercedes engine and automated transmission, 329k miles.

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/771149

I have been looking for a second semi truck for a while now. I hope that it turns out to be good.

Attachments

• fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 447
  • fl1.jpg
    fl1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 458

ichudov

I am machinery mover. Low boy with big forklifts, scrap metal, machinery on a stepdeck, etc. My RT crane on the lowboy as well.

I have a Freightliner FLD112 also. This is an addition.

crane operator

Looks good. That's really low mileage for a pretty good price. I've never been around a autoshift eaton, or the mercedes engine. I could see the autoshift being nice in city traffic.

I looked at the pictures on iron planet. Looks like they left the gearbox, but took the pump and tank for the wet kit (PTO). You need hydraulic's for your trailer?

ichudov

Crane op, thanks. It is exactly as you say, the power take off is there but the pump is not.

I am guessing that the pump that they took off, was a special pump for certain special needs of Praxair, a gas supplier and the previous owner of this truck.

You can see "Praxair" on the door and on the mudflaps.

Anyhow, definitely I need a hydraulic setup. I will buy the pump itself. As for the rest of the hydraulics, I part out machinery for a living and constantly come across hydraulic units, filters etc. We will definitely set up this truck for hydraulic operation.

ichudov

OK, so this truck has an Eaton automated transmission. Does someone have any tips on how to use it properly and what pitfalls to avoid etc. Anything that might be detrimental to the transmission that we need to know about. None of us has any experience with those transmissions.

Shimmy1

Does it have the paddle shifter on the side of the steering column? If so, that should just be a standard 10 speed Eaton with the shifting mechanism on the top cover. If it has a clutch pedal, you should be ok to push/tow short distances with the engine running. If the engine is not running, if you're planning on towing it for more than a few miles, you need to pull driveshaft.

ichudov

The truck is here. Looks like it is all working. Drove it around my business neighborhood, without registration did not want to go too far. It really does shifting for me! Also a very strong engine, when it is bobtail it accelerates like crazy.

I am wondering: If I drive with transmission in manual mode and have to brake hard, does it kill the engine or is it smart enough to downshift for me?

Last edited:

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
ichudov,we had similar truck on Van. Island. Had an 18 speed. Was used to haul loaded 3 axle garbage trailers to a bage facility and empty trailers back. Truck was lite so go more weight in trailers. Had good fuel mileage. Not a power house for sure. Loads were gross of 46000 kgs here or 101,000 lbs. Never gave any issues but we had only the one so it was sold off and went to Alberta