• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought a new tilt bed 9999lb. gvw

nedly05

Jmac, thats funny, cuz when Dad said he was thinking of replacing it I thought of you. It's in really good shape, but we like to keep things updated because we go through DOT about once a month and they like it when things are shiny and clean. I'll ask him what he wants to do.would you come here to get it?

jmac

Ya sure, you live up by Jay somewhere. I am going to Lake George for Americade but I don't think I can pull the trailer home with my bike.
Yes I will come up with dump to get it.

imjustdave

:confused:

Maybe I wasn't clear, so here goes.

There were no rings for the wires to hold them from being pinched.

The push-in grease fittings were on the tilt points, not the springs.

I never complained about the paint under the trailer, THE D RINGS ON THE SIDE OF THE TRAILER WERE NOT MOVED WHEN PAINTED. They sprayed right over them, when I got the trailer the D-ring's were un painted on one side and the place on the SIDE of the trailer where they were sitting was unpainted in the shape of a D-ring.

I guess I should have just expected the tilt deck to not tilt because it was misalligned and the fenders that nearly rubbed on the right side tires because the fenders were welded in the wrong position?:confused:

The salesmen didn't push me to a trailer that they thought I needed, I went in with a list of what I wanted and they wrote it up, money was no issue. They assured me this was a HEAVY DUTY trailer designed to last for years of COMMERCIAL use.

I have dealt with this Kubota/Stihl/Trailer dealer for 10 years. In that time I have purchased 2 tractors, a dozen 3 point hitch implements (bushhogs, rototillers, flail mowers, pto generator etc... etc...) , chain saws, power brooms, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, tools, 3 trailers (not Cam's) and about 20k in parts and service from these guys. They are well aware of my operation and what I have for equipment, as I am there at least once a month buying something. The entire business knows me on a first name bassis, I thought I was part of the "family".

This is a 7 ton trailer. It was built as a 7 ton trailer, they rated it for 7 tons. I asked and they offered to tag it 9999 to avoid hassles from DOT, as they know I'm not maxing it out and would be hauling it with a 33000lb gvw truck, thus avoiding a need for a class A licensed driver. If you look around and do any trailer shopping you will find this is what trailer manufacturers do to help customers with DOT. I asked for an overkill trailer, they took my money to build me an overkill trailer.

Like I said before, I could buy a 5 ton Hudson for $2495, I paid $7000 for a Cadillac that would last for years, I don't think anyone will argue that I got a Yugo rather than the Cadillac I was promised. :mad:

ok I'm following a little better now, was the first trailer better then the second? with the exception of the bent ramp...

atgreene

Dave, the second was a little better than the first, except the first time I loaded a piece of equipment, the wires crushed and have crushed again since then. I didn't realize that both front brakes weren't working until I tore into it to see what I could do about rerouting the wires to make it so I would have the problem. Once I looked at it, I had no choice but to completely re-wire it.

A buddy has the same trailer, I'm going to look at his and see what they did with the wires there.

jazak

:bash I think you're just having a huge dose of bad luck...hope it blows over soon.....:Banghead

BTW I think your trailer was made on friday, tell them you want it made on tuesday & you'll be fine. :D

Last edited:

nedly05

How is that trailer now that you have fixed all of the problems yourself? Is it still giving you trouble? It's a nice looking trailer anyways :rolleyes:

atgreene

Now that I think everything has been fixed, it seems like it will work ok. First chance I get though, I'm trading for a Moritz. If anything major goes wrong with it, I'm sure they won't honor the 2 year warranty.

OKYLE

take em to court, and get your money back.

That is one hell of a shoddy trailer, if i ever saw one. Make them eat the bill on it, not your fault they cant produce a decent product.

I put a 6k/ lb bobcat on a trailer rated for 4k or so, and never bent the tail. The tires sure didnt look healthy heh but that trailer itself looked like it could handle 2x as much weight.

How much framing is under the tail? Mine is pretty stout looking compared to the pictures you have shown so far :/

atgreene

A quick update: latest problem, they didn't tighten the hydro lines for the tilt cushion ram (I retightened them when I realized it, and they were hand tight). The oil has leaked out, and they aren't sure how to refill the system without their pump set-up:confused: . I will be modifying the plumbing so as to prevent this issue in the future, the deal just sort of shrugged and didn't say much. So much for my two year warranty.

On a related note, they retagged the trailer for me to it's maximum weight, 16100 lbs. as my 5500 GMC will be here next week. Not sure if I will need a Class A to run it (I don't, but have different opinions depending who I ask:confused: ), but if they summons me, they can't refuse me at the test site when I show up for the road test in a 19500lb gvw vehicle. :pointhead

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The oil has leaked out, and they aren't sure how to refill the system without their pump set-up:confused: .

What is that supposed to mean.........they don't know how to work on their own system?

atgreene

The gist of the story they told me was that once it leaves the factory there isn't an in-the-field-fix without complete disassembly.:beatsme Suprised?:rolleyes:

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Well its time to eat my words about cam trailers and how good ours have been lol as our 05 Split Tilt 7 ton has a major issue. The main frame cracked right through the channel on one side and completely snapped off on the other side. We called the dealer and he immediatly directed us to the factory where we talked to the engineer. He said he is familiar with the problem and the new trailers use 3/8" wall channel instead of 1/4" wall. Well WTF does that do for us who supposely bought 7 ton trailers before they changed the design? I attached some pics of the cracks and break, and of the whole trailer disassemblied and headed back to the dealer. Cam is going to truck it back to PA and go over it. We are thinking court might be our only option in the end with this. If the other channel had snapped completely we would have had some serious issues.

Attachments

• haul trucks 009.jpg
    haul trucks 009.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 411
  • haul trucks 011.jpg
    haul trucks 011.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 408
  • haul trucks 012.jpg
    haul trucks 012.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 407
  • haul trucks 013.jpg
    haul trucks 013.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 411
  • haul trucks 014.jpg
    haul trucks 014.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 417

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
some more

Attachments

• haul trucks 015.jpg
    haul trucks 015.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 412
  • haul trucks 016.jpg
    haul trucks 016.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 406
  • haul trucks 005.jpg
    haul trucks 005.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 410

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Quote "We are thinking court might be our only option in the end with this. If the other channel had snapped completely we would have had some serious issues".

I wonder if safety of a mass produced trailer comes into play here.This might be some sort of avenue to explore, especially when they admit they have a known safety issue. I bet somewhere and with someone it isn't kool to have known defective heavy equipment trailers on the road. A replacement/repaired trailer might be a easy way to make you go away.

Brian