• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought a new tilt bed 9999lb. gvw

cat320

Charter Member
Alan i have to say they are really bad ,you would think with all the problem you had with them that they would make sure that the trailer went out at a 100% and not just like another trailer built for stock in some trailer yard. I guess quality control is not there any more .

snonut12

Charter Member
Wow, that is just unbelievable. They should be ashamed of themself. Now I definitely will be staying away from Cam. :spaz

DigDug

atgreene- Thanks for the heads up , I am looking for a new skid steer trailer but i think i will pass on Cam. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, that really sucks. doug

atgreene

It's working ok. I still have to rewire it properly, as the crushed wire has not been properly fixed. I DO NOT want them to touch it. Other than that :rolleyes: , everything has been fine thus far. I'll post some pics when I get it in the garage to rewire it right.

N.B.CONCRETE

Occupation
OWNER
I hear ya. Sad thing about how things are nowadays . If you want it done right ,you either do it yourself or risk getting taken to the cleaners by some wannabe .

I re ran all my wireing too , zip tied the heck out of it to. I used the wire loom stuff and got everything good and hidden from getting damaged. Alot of the times when I pull in to a jobsite I get out and inspect the best route travelled so I dont tear up the bottom of the trailer wireing. The ICC lites in the center of the rear is my biggest weak spot for damage.Second would be the brake wireing.

Trailer will get a good trip next week. Going down to Londonderry NH to pick up Rapidform panels. I will be towing behind F450 with 16' flat bed . Hopefully Maine DOT will be nice to us. :wink2

cat320

Charter Member
I have a question on bed replacement my dump trailer is all steel bed but what about these skid steer trailers with the wood I would think it be hard to re - fasten them down since there screws would be rusted on and probably snap off. What does every one use to re-install the decking?

atgreene

I've replaced a few boards here and there as needed on a couple different trailers. I found that the best way is to break or cut the wood away then grind the existing bolts flush. The standard self-tapping star-bit deck screws that most manufacturers use are available at most Lowes stores, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere as well. They work good and save alot of drilling.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The standard self-tapping star-bit deck screws that most manufacturers use are available at most Lowes stores, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere as well. They work good and save alot of drilling.

:yup And spend the extra for the stainless ones.

ctkiteboarding

just curious why didnt you guys get the tilt in a deck over wheel configuration? more deck space , 102 wide, etc. ,,, deck height is up but its a tilt ,, same gvw 12k , d rated to 10k

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
We didn't because we move some heavy stuff and don't want it any higher then it has to be

N.B.CONCRETE

Occupation
OWNER
just curious why didnt you guys get the tilt in a deck over wheel configuration? more deck space , 102 wide, etc. ,,, deck height is up but its a tilt ,, same gvw 12k , d rated to 10k

I transport equipment usualy real far and want the truck to pull less headwind and save FUEL .:drinkup

ctkiteboarding

yea im sure it is, id be local most on the time hauling a bobcat or car,
2 3 times a year id have to travel OTR with it ,
the loads would be diffent sometimes a boat trailer , sometimes w/ a boat on it , sometime a sail boat on a cradlle that will be tall im sure,,

atgreene

It also changes your load angle, quite a bit steeper, and when you load on ice and snow, that can make for a tricky ride. I already took an express ride off the trailer once this winter with the excavator.

Personnally, if I had it to do over I'd have gotten a 7 ton over the wheel non tilt. After having a tri axle 9 ton (which was over kill for my operation), I miss the clear span of the deck. The ramps were a pain, but after having tilt, I'll take the ramps. With other material, buckets, tools, chains on the deck, the tilt is a pain. And forget loading two pieces. I haven't tried a truck yet, but I wonder if it will tilt before I can get the rear wheels on the tail.

And you can't beat the hay hauling ability of an over the wheels deck. My 23' gooseneck was awesome for moving anything, I wish I could have hauled it behind the dump truck, I would still have it.