• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought a John Deere 304H without an engine, what options do I have?

hgaller

Looking to drop an engine into my 304h on the cheap. It looks like it originally came with a 4TNE98, could I also use a 4TNE92 or a 4TNE86? Do I have to worry about electrical differences, bellhousing differences, motor mount differences, etc?

lantraxco

Should be 12V, speed control is a cable, you can probably use the original shutoff solenoid, mounts can be fabricobbled, the pump drive coupling and mount plate can be bought for whatever flywheel and housing you get. In other words you can pretty well use whatever you can stuff in there. Be mindful of cooling though if you go for more horsepower. The pumps won't really care, they're limited and have relief valves anyway, so not much to worry about there.

lantraxco

Well, I would wait and see if you need anything different, but then I would start with Guardian Coupling

hgaller

Well, I would wait and see if you need anything different, but then I would start with Guardian Coupling

Thanks! I've been told the only engines compatible are the 4TNE92 and 4TNE94 (along with the TNV variant). I'm going to assume any engine I buy will not have the correct coupling, when I get some time I'll have to look and see if it's still in the machine.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That was a common generator engine. But if you get one where you have to fab all the coupling stuff, I wonder if a similar Isuzu or Kubota engine might also be usable. It is going to be a lot of work regardless I am sure.

lantraxco

That was a common generator engine. But if you get one where you have to fab all the coupling stuff, I wonder if a similar Isuzu or Kubota engine might also be usable. It is going to be a lot of work regardless I am sure.

Should be, most of those little diesels have SAE/ISO spec flywheels and housings, aside from that, it's back to whatever fits in the space without producing too much heat.

hgaller

I found a 4TNV98T, which appears to be a newer version with a turbo. Does anyone know that will just "bolt up" in place of a 4TNE98?