• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought a Dump truck

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
According to my DMV chart you round to nearest ft. if 19'6" you round up if less than 19'6" you round down.
For 20' max weight w/o permit is 54000 with permit it's 84000. Might need more axles for 84000 I don't know I only have tandems.
jr

You might be right. That would mean for me a 15.5 ton net which would be good for me...Thanks..:)

BIGDAN315

Occupation
I am doing a rear axle brake job on the truck right now. Talk about akes and pains..LOL .The problem is I have been inactive most all winter and the ole bod is telling me so..:( Its a good thing for the hot wrench for this project. Replacing shoes,drums,springs and rollers. It's my first heavy truck brake job.

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Hope you not wearing white! :D

:p No wasn't wearing white but you couldn't tell that I was a white man by looking at my face and hands..:eek: Let me tell you the right side came appart allot easyer than the left. I had to push off the inner dual with a port a power with a allot of wamps with the sledge hammer. The right side poped right off no problem. I am thinking it has been appart recently and allot less rust on that side as well. Getting real edgamacated real fast. Gotta change front chambers next.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGDAN315

Occupation
My brake job which is done. Tryed to download some pics but they where to big. I also built and installed a pintle hitch, Installed 2 new front brake chambers, Installed a new trailer brake controller, Changed the motor oil and filters and it toook 10 gallons of oil..:eek: Feul and coolant filters, Bought and installed a new 48 inch underbody tool box to store my goodies in. Greased all zerks and the central grease station is nice for the dump box pins. I cut off the slanted sides on the dump box and I am going to put 2x6 boards back on. It made it too high to laod with my equipment. I also had the lettering done with my DBA and DOT #s on the doors. I have noticed quite a bit of low end torque on this truck but havn't had it loaded yet which will be the test. Can hardly wait to load her down and hall it some where...:p

Preppypyro

Sounds like your getting alot of work done to er.

Im curious how you did your pintle hitch. I would like to try to install one myself when i get a truck, if it doesnt have one, but my dad kinda talked me into getting a pro to do it, that way it wont come back to me if i dont do it quite right!

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Sounds like your getting alot of work done to er.

Im curious how you did your pintle hitch. I would like to try to install one myself when i get a truck, if it doesnt have one, but my dad kinda talked me into getting a pro to do it, that way it wont come back to me if i dont do it quite right!

Hey Preppypro, Well when ever I fabricate anything I go to my scrap metal pile to see what I have on hand. I found some 6 " heavy angle iron, 1/2 " I think ,Some rebar and 1/2" plate. I built it looking very much like a trailer hitch you see on a pickup truck using the 2 -foot long pieces of angle to bolt to the fraim rails using 3 -3/4" grade 5 bolts. and another piece crossing over welded to to the two. I welded a piece of plate on the cross over for extra meat. I also gusseted the hitch plate with the 5/8" rebar to the frame mounts. I believe there is onother thread with the same topic and using 1" plate and welding it to the frame rails. It depends allot on how far bellow your frame your pintle has to be. In my case It only had to be around 6" from the bottom of the frame for my truck and trailer combo. I have also seen where a piece of channel welded from one frame to the other and the pintle mounted derectly to that but it would of been to high in my case. Some trailers have an adjustable eye so you can raise or lower it to the hieght you need. I suggest if your not an experianced welder fabricater that maybe you should have some one who is build it for you. Have fun in what ever you choose..:drinkup

Preppypyro

Sounds like it wasnt really hard at all. Do you have any pictures of it by chance?

As for my welding and fabricating skills, im a decent welder, and I always fabricate stuff, but I dont have a stick welder, just a mig, and my fairly newly aquired farm isnt set up for working on anything yet!

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Sounds like it wasnt really hard at all. Do you have any pictures of it by chance?

As for my welding and fabricating skills, im a decent welder, and I always fabricate stuff, but I dont have a stick welder, just a mig, and my fairly newly aquired farm isnt set up for working on anything yet!

I have pics but they are to big for the site and don't know how to make them smaller. The mig will do the job as long as you have the amps for the heavy gage steel. I here you on not being set up yet. Kinda tough to do much of anything. It takes time but you will get there.

Preppypyro

If you ever feel like you might wanna email them out, my email is preppypyro@hotmail.com.

My mig is a smaller one, used mainly for body panels on older vehicles, Im pretty sure its too light to do this kind of welding. My father has a good welder though, and I have quite a few buddies that work as welders so i will be able to get someone to do it for me, might cost a few beers but thats cheap :D

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I have pics but they are to big for the site and don't know how to make them smaller.

Check out the second red link in my signature for help with resizing pictures. :)

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Some more pics

Finally learned how to resise my pics to download here so here they are. Some are of my recent brake job. I also cut down the sides of the dump box and then aded 2x6 boards. Made and aded a stainless exhaust stack gaurd. New door lettering. Under body tool box, I want to paint the wheels next but maybe change the collor to white or grey.

Attachments

• 90 IH left side lettering.jpg
    90 IH left side lettering.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 132
  • truck brakes.jpg
    truck brakes.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 133
  • truck brakes 2.jpg
    truck brakes 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 135

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
Mack grey for the wheels, black for the spokes and dip all the hardware in metallic silver paint is a nice clean look.

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Mack grey for the wheels, black for the spokes and dip all the hardware in metallic silver paint is a nice clean look.

Sounds like a nice combo,Thanks...:drinkup