• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"BOROWING EQUIPMENT "

Truck Shop

Yeah people always fiddle with stuff interior wise when borrowing. But there is the other side of driving a rig into the shop for repairs you fellows left out.

{Getting in and setting in a truck seat that's jacked to the roof because the lard a$$ that drives it weighs 300 to 3000 lbs. Then you wait-growing a beard in the process while the air slowly hisses away
before the seat finally drops. Then crank the sh!t out of the moto mirrors, adjust the steering wheel move the swinging crap on bungee cords out of the way, And last but not least wipe the steering wheel
down to remove boogers, pop, coffee and the dippin sauce for his BBQ'ed corn dogs. Plus all his other filthy germs he has spread all over the cab. And this same jacka$$ wants you to work in the pi$$mire
he has created to repair dash switches, heater controls and what have you.}

Now the main reason to be upset with people borrowing your equipment-Is the fact the person operating it is probably a prolific F@rter . He will jump at the chance to pump the seat full of f@rts,
causing many lumps in the lower cushion. Which will cause the owner much discomfort and throw his back out.

BigWrench55

Now the main reason to be upset with people borrowing your equipment-Is the fact the person operating it is probably a prolific F@rter . He will jump at the chance to pump the seat full of f@rts,

I'm guilty of that :D
causing many lumps in the lower cushion. Which will cause the owner much discomfort and throw his back out.

Truck Shop

The dreaded flatulent Freightliner fever.

It's all that dippin sauce that probably does it, some buy it by the five gallon bucket set it on the floor and use a long straw.

I came up with an idea a ways back called the swinging chicken. Just a fancy bungee attached to the roof to hang a three pound roaster chicken from. Turn to the right the chicken swings left
and the driver takes a bite, turn to the left the chicken swings right and the co-driver takes a bite and two straws in the five gallon bucket of dippin sauce..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had a damn nasty driver referred to as Pig Pen, Short WB Tandem Freightliners, exhaust stack in a reversed corner of the cab on a bell connector to the exhaust pipe they were so short, brought his truck in one day said needed service and a new mattress, Foreskin said OK so sent wash boy out to it. He came back in said the floor was moving, so the district manager took a look and yes there were bugs of all variety, LIVE, IN the truck, worse than a trash compactor so called a exterminator service to gas the cab. That took three days to get under control as to cleaning it to access it to fix it. Three months later and he STILL driving, he brings it back, wash boy looks inside seems kinda clean but odorous, goes to jack the cab to wash the engine to reveal a oil leak spot, cab clears shift tower floating panel, gets about to 20 degrees hear rolling noise then TINK TINK SMASH, bottle of urine hits the floor. Pig Pen no longer worked there ever again. We took the entire interior out, dumpstered it, tilted cab full over and pressure washed the INSIDE, just nasty.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Y'all can laugh, I found the specs I wrote down on the Frt Shkr Cabovers we had. 350Cummins, Jakes, 13 speed single over RTO 9513 on Rockwell SQHPs, 24.5 rubber and a WHOPPING 142" WB, Twin Round 80 gallon tanks and still no room for quarter fenders.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Every time I take my truck for a service the seat is moved. All they have to do is drive it in and out. Had a friend who had a repair shop and he said you only move the seat in extreme cases if the driver is either very short or very tall but 99% of the time you don't adjust anything with the driving position.
Hell!!! My son is 6'3", I was 5'9" before the spinal discs lost their fluid.
If he moves my truck a foot he readjusts my seat, steering wheel, and mirrors. Me bitching only encourages him.
Therefore, I take great pleasure in taking his analog truck, and readjusting mirrors for me, and seat slammed as close to the steering wheel as possible.
Some might label it passive aggression. I also pick up his trash from the driveway, toss it into his truck.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wife does that for me, no matter what she gets in the steering wheel is lap tight seat full forward and mirrors a mess. Worked in a shop on a lot of customer equipment, left all the adjustments as they were and dealt with it. Never the less a few would get in and readjust EVERYTHING as if I had moved them.

JD955SC

Had a damn nasty driver referred to as Pig Pen, Short WB Tandem Freightliners, exhaust stack in a reversed corner of the cab on a bell connector to the exhaust pipe they were so short, brought his truck in one day said needed service and a new mattress, Foreskin said OK so sent wash boy out to it. He came back in said the floor was moving, so the district manager took a look and yes there were bugs of all variety, LIVE, IN the truck, worse than a trash compactor so called a exterminator service to gas the cab. That took three days to get under control as to cleaning it to access it to fix it. Three months later and he STILL driving, he brings it back, wash boy looks inside seems kinda clean but odorous, goes to jack the cab to wash the engine to reveal a oil leak spot, cab clears shift tower floating panel, gets about to 20 degrees hear rolling noise then TINK TINK SMASH, bottle of urine hits the floor. Pig Pen no longer worked there ever again. We took the entire interior out, dumpstered it, tilted cab full over and pressure washed the INSIDE, just nasty.

I’ve heard stories of the truck shops especially of drivers cutting holes in the floor to **** through

Nastiest thing I’ve seen is a bottle of rotten milk in a cab (top came off and spilled everywhere I about puked and fell out of the cab

I also would love to know why operators with nice air conditioned and pressurized cabs leave the doors and windows wide open to collect a couple inches of dirt in the cab

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Drive down any freeway after work shuts down and see how many leave the machine with the windows up and the door open all night long and over the weekends. A rotten sandwich behind the seat and now there are rodents forever.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
In an earlier time when dairy farms were common one farmer was proud of his practical jokes. He had a friend who he traded unspeakable atrocities with. I deliberately avoided involvement.
Weeks after working on his farm one winter day I started noticing an unpleasant odor. I looked for the source, but passed it off as a spilled cup of coffee with cream.
Next warm day, I couldn't ignore it any longer. That's when I discovered a denim coat under the passenger seat of my van. I had assumed it was my father's coat. On closer inspection, it wasn't my father's. It was rolled around a cow placenta.

Truck Shop

In an earlier time when dairy farms were common one farmer was proud of his practical jokes. He had a friend who he traded unspeakable atrocities with. I deliberately avoided involvement.
Weeks after working on his farm one winter day I started noticing an unpleasant odor. I looked for the source, but passed it off as a spilled cup of coffee with cream.
Next warm day, I couldn't ignore it any longer. That's when I discovered a denim coat under the passenger seat of my van. I had assumed it was my father's coat. On closer inspection, it wasn't my father's. It was rolled around a cow placenta.

That farmer had been out behind the barn too long, or in the basement a little too long with grampa-The farmer in the dell-the farmer in the dell-hi ho the mary'o the farmer in the dell.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
A buddy and myself hit a jack rabbit one night. So we tossed it in the back seat of another friends work car, 4 door chevy. well it was the middle of winter so that stupid rabbit never thawed out. Rode around back there for a month before his can of chew rolled back there. he did get a surprise when he got a hand full of fur while trying to retrieve the can while driving. lol.

mitch504

When my brother as young, he saw a possum run across the road and on a whim, decided to run it down. His best friend comes along in a brand-new Datsun pickup, sees his truck in the road with the door open, and stops. Mike comes out of the woods carrying the possum and throws it through the drivers window of the NEW TRUCK! The possum decides playing dead isn't working and scrambles up under the dash. The possum had only eaten a few wires and been to the bathroom a few times when he got him out 4 days later.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Electrician at the nuke, small fella like 6'4ish, 250 lbs mostly muscle, hands like hams, bellowing voice anyone could hear above the wailing machinery, gentle as a lamb was also a taxidermy trainee. He once worked line crew in ESL IL where had the line truck stop on a highway so could retrieve a Skunk he later had stuffed and denatured enough to display in his home. Drove a Chevy Chevette, four door for YEARS where had mechanics help him remount the driver seat so he was not excessively cramped. Long story longer and MORE Boring, he spots a Bobcat on a county road, been hit by something grabs it up throws in his backseat. A few miles down the road he swears he hears a breathing noise stops car and bails out damn near took a foot off getting thru the door, looks in back seat and Bobcat is still dead, said HE was breathing like he was gonna hyperventilate. That cat adorned his cathedral ceiling Living room wall for close to fifteen years until Keith died. Ironically he was cleaning a Red Fox carcass, got a small cut from a jagged bone, developed sepsis and passed away in three weeks.

Raildudes dad

So back to borrowing equipment. I'm the project engineer on a local non-motorized trail project. We are adding a 10 foot wide asphalt path 6 feet behind a curb and gutter roadway. About 1/2 mile we are removing the paved shoulder , adding curb and placing the path 6 feet behind the new curb. That's a bit unusual but we are in the Grand River floodplain and it's all wetlands. The other half mile it's behind an existing curb. The paving contractor is demoing a brand new LeeBoy paver so things didn't get off to a good start. It's not good when the sales rep and one of their mechanics are reading the operators manual :(
This is the last phase of a 10 year project to connect 2 big trails. The White Pine and the Musketawa if your from MI. 200-250 miles total so I'm there to get photos of the big event. The trail follows the ground more than the road and the second 5 axle straight truck live bottom goes "down the bank" and I hold my breath, I half suspected it to lay over on its side. Later I look at it and theres something wrong with the suspension, definitely has a list to the right.
So I stop by on my way home about 5. Since they frogged around with the demo paver, it's going to get late for my assistant doing the onsite inspection. I drive up and an 8-axle live bottom semi trailer (50 tons of asphalt) had gotten too far over, has the right side of the tractor off the gravel and has spun his tires so the right tandem axles are on the ground. So I pull into an adjacent parking lot. As I'm waiting, a nice new D6 comes up the path and the asphalt guys are hooking chains to the front of the truck. It only spins in the gravel. So the "operator" pulls forward a bit , backs up fast and tries to jerk it. I look around and I don't see any of the prime contractor's employees or foreman around. H'mm.
I jump out and go right to the paving company's honcho who's been there for the demo. I asked "is that the contractor's employee running the dozer?" I knew the answer the way he was jerking n the truck "No". Me "do you have permission from the contractor?" "No" That lit me off. I go ballistic. All the while, they are re-hooking the chains. I screamed at him "You are done, the job is shut down". He just stares at me so I go over to the dozer, get in the operators sight and keep giving him the shut down gestures. I go back to the boss and said, do you understand, this job is shut down until you get a rotator here to get the truck and trailer out?" At that point everyone is looking at the grumpy old man.
I asked my assistant if he saw me lose my cool. He laughed and said, I was standing right next to you. I've never seen you that mad before. Now keep in mind this isn't a driveway paver, this is a big company that should know better. And the honcho has been in the business for 40+ years. My assistant called the prime contractors foreman to let him know what happened. I did get a call from his boss and a follow up email thanking me for stepping up and shutting them down.
I've been in this game for 47 years with our county highway department and have never observed something like this happen.