• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

boom up and hold the load

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Over the past two years I have felt my skills improve considerably and as a reward I have gained some loyalty from a growing customer base, but one thing I can't do well is boom up and hold the load I almost always either lift the load or let it go slack, not by a lot some times 3 or 4 " sometimes more.
Any jewels of wisdom would be appreciated
Happy new year
Tradesman

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Yep, don't sweat it so much. Relax, don't over-think and keep doing what you are doing.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I've been operating most of my life. I still find to be the hardest thing to do perfectly. 3-4"? Pretty close to perfection.

On the newer AT cranes we have, we're generally running 2 or 3 part lines. We also have the ability to set boom speed 0-100%. That seems to make it much easier for me. If it's a critcal load, I'll typically tell them to just direct me one function at a time. I get paid by the hour, so I'm in no hurry.

Knepptune

Booming up and cabling and load only coming up 3-4 inches. And your worried . Lol that's pretty good. Bet 90 percent of guys can't do do that. I hate when people bolt something down then give me the boom up cable down signal. Get it where you need it to be then bolt it. I can slide a grain pipe over, around, and under stuff. But getting the load started without lifting or lowering it slightly is pretty hard. Anything over a 60-70 radius I can't see 3 inches so I don't worry about it that much.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Man that's good to know seems like the end of the world when I lift a beam off a post or pull a nail out of the end of a truss. I talked to a guy once setting a radio tower and the riggers asked him to boom up and hold the load, it was like magic that thing just moved a foot back without a wiggle, I've been beating myself up that I can't do it without lifting the load and getting that dirty look. Guess I'll just keep working at it.

Shimmy1

I know absolutely nothing about cranes, but I do know this, no matter how good we are, there is always someone out there better than us. Just keep trying to be THAT guy. :salute

Last edited:

cecil89

Occupation
the best I can be while I am being paid to do my J
I used to have a joke about an operator and a woman giving the signal to boom up and hold the load. cant remember the punchline :/