• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boom repair

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Hi All,
Continuing work on my obsolete TLB. Making some progress and I could use some suggestions at this point. Openings in the boom which enable the dipper cylinder pin to attach to "links" which operates the dipper were quite worn and peened over. This was a result of lack of maintenance to the components that maintain proper alignment of the dipper cylinder and related linkage. Long story short, with everything worn like it was the backhoe was working but it was a struggle and was only getting worse. Smarter people would have had the sense to either sell this turkey and look for something better, or scrap it and put it out of its misery, but Nooo not me, I gotta fix it! I got things disassembled (I'm good at that), removed as much of the ancient gunk that had accumulated over the years, and set to work with my little 4" grinder that I was able to squeeze in through an access plate at the bottom of the boom. A few hours later I had aching forearms and everything ground down kinda flat again. Now I can attempt to put things back the way the manual says it supposed to look like. Should I be concerned about replacing the worn sections of these "slots"? I'm thinking these openings were to allow the pin to pass through the boom and aren't as critical as the parts that maintain the right clearances for the dipper linkage. I just realized I need to resize my pics for this, I'll get them up in a bit.

outbackrider

Not sure I understand how it works, but it seems that those two steel plates run inside?
Would it make sense to build up the boom rails and egged holes with weld and then grind them as flat as you
could get them? Seems if it were kept properly greased, it should last a good long time....
I'm like you, noooo....I have to fix it, or get it fixed.....lol Keep at it, it should serve you well
once your complete....

Last edited: