• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boom Repair

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Could use some advice here,

I've got a 1986 Sperry/New Holland LB480. I'm sure there are some people that may be saying, "Jeez, to bad", and others staring and saying "Tsk,Tsk", but it's what I could afford, and aside from its flaws, I'm starting to like this machine. So here's where I could use some help: There is a lot of wear and play in the swing cylinders, not to mention what's going on with wear in the boom. I'm getting caught up with my "honey do" list and planning on tackling this project soon. I'm anticipating the play in the cylinders to be pins and bushings, but the boom is a little more complex. seems as though where the pin went through was supposed to have been bushed or had something to make it work smoothly. Somewhere along the way this item was allowed to be overlooked resulting in egg shaped slots. I'm thinking about grinding this mushroomed edge flat/smooth and welding in a piece of stock to try to bring it back to some semblance of tolerance. A buddy of mine agreed to make me a new pin and some kind of matching bushings. I'm suspecting this is going to be a dirty job and a lot of work. Anybody ever try something like this before? Thanks for looking. Having some problems downloading pics, I'm going to try again later....:Banghead

Effinay

Occupation
Boom Repair Pics

Fiddled around with the sizing and hope this works......076.JPG080.JPG081.JPG082.JPG

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I merged the two threads together to keep it all in one thread.

Good luck with the repair!:drinkup

ttweld05

Occupation
self employed welder/ heavy equipment repair man
Good Morning Effinay,

That doesnt look like too bad a job. I live in Candia NH and i could come over and check it out and give you some pointers if you would like?

Effinay

Occupation
Thanks for your help with this.

Effinay

Occupation
Good Morning Effinay,

That doesnt look like too bad a job. I live in Candia NH and i could come over and check it out and give you some pointers if you would like?

Are you serious about coming by!? I sure would appreciate another set of eyes looking at this and gawd knows I could use some suggestions. I've been staring at this for months and finally deciding to get moving on this before the weather changes.