• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boom lift Hillside operation

Ronray

I would like general advice on operating a boom lift on uneven ground like slopes. I live on a hillside with about a 15-degree incline and the slope indicator on my 1980 Mark lift 62 foot boom activates when the ground is over 5 degrees incline. So for example when I am just driving the Boom up the hill side, is it better to have the basket uphill from the Boom, even though I would be driving backwards and looking over my shoulder as I'm going up the hill? I suspect that it would be better to have the basket on the uphill side in case the Boom Lift was to lose traction or start sliding down the hill, at least I would be above the Boom Lift, and not below it as it is sliding down hill. Are there any operators manuals I can get or YouTube type videos I could watch to see the safest way of handling a boom lift on uneven ground or a slope?

Ronray

Also wondering since this Boom Lift is two-wheel drive, if it would be wiser to position the driving wheels on the uphill side just to prevent the entire thing from flipping over? I have had that unfortunate experience on a tractor in the past LOL.

hosspuller

Just general thoughts, I've driven a few boom lifts but not outside. They seems to drive better with the boom forward and over the drive wheels. You'll still want to be in harness while driving.

Vetech63

Just general thoughts, I've driven a few boom lifts but not outside. They seems to drive better with the boom forward and over the drive wheels. You'll still want to be in harness while driving.

I bet that guy sh!t his britches! ;)

crane operator

On a hill, put your drive tires uphill, with the boom pointed uphill too. That way if you start to spin, you can shoot out a little more boom to put more weight on the drive tires.

Wear your harness, even if your only 5 feet off the ground. They can tend to buck a little, and it might save your life from getting thrown out of the basket.

Ronray

Great advice. Thank you! After watching that video, I was thinking about maybe putting some foam padding around the basket floor and side rails as well. Maybe even a top roll bar might not be a bad idea LOL

hosspuller

Great advice. Thank you! After watching that video, I was thinking about maybe putting some foam padding around the basket floor and side rails as well. Maybe even a top roll bar might not be a bad idea LOL

A better idea is being aware of the dangers of the boom. Padded rails won't protect against high voltage power lines for instance. The top roll bar idea isn't much protection if the whole unit rolls over while being a head hazard all the time.

Enjoy the manlift. It's still better than a ladder. :rolleyes:

Ronray

Thanks Hoss Any idea of a good cheap source of parts for my 1980 marklift 62 boom lift? To my knowledge the marklift parts are available through Genie and Terex. I'm having a real difficult time with my current supplier Access Platform returning phone calls and emails and canceling online orders without explaining why.