• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

*********bobtail or 10 wheeler question***********

toomuchtime

Hay there guys I need some advice.. Here's my situation
I currently have a f650 w/c7 I jus bought a 305.5 excavator to go along with my 289c.
This puts me towing at about 27000lbs way to much for myf650 and yes i have a class A lol.I also ordered a 40k zieman tag trailer the deck length is 28' with a 4' beaver. Had to be this long to for my attachments and machines.

Now for my questions. I was going to pull the trigger on a 10 wheeler but I Really enjoy the manuvarbility of the bobtail and the shorter length. Has anyone seen a class 8 truck like a Pete 379 or t800 (similar to a single axle belly dump truck)made into a bobtail? I have a killer western demo box that's 12ft on f650 I would love to move to the new truck. It's almost two short for a 10 wheeler but is awesome for a bobtail. What do yous think about a single axle truck towing that kind of weight?thanks guys

mitch504

I have a Mack CH612 and an IH 2375, and they would hardly know 27,000 lbs was back there.

With the Mack I've pulled a triaxle tag trailer at gross trailer weight around 50,000 w/ no problems, and have pulled a fithwheel type semi trailer at nearly 100,000, though I wouldn't recommend more than 80,000.

I'm actually suprised that a 650 would have trouble with 27,000, though I would heartily reccommend going to the class 8 truck, as they are built much heavier, and parts are actually cheaper.

On edit: I also have a 10-wheeler w/ a 12' dumpbed, and I really like it for tight spaces.

Last edited: