• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat vs John Deere

Cat

Hi all. So which one is overall a better machine? Which one would you buy? I'm talking about the new 300 series John Deere NOT the 200 series

Coastal

The john deeres ive operated, always seemed to high center fast and get stuck a lot more than bobcats. And the hydraulics seemed jumpy compared to bobcats.

mxsledder

Go with the bobcat, I think they are a smoother, quiter, better machine. I like deere equipment, but I have never liked there skid steers.

Woodstock

I like the new John Deere's. It seams like to me you have better visibility, and you can get to the motor easy to change filters etc. The Bobcat you can't hardly get to the battery to jump it if you had to. I don't like the concept of the motor sitting side ways. :my2c

hilbile

Occupation
Manual labor
im pretty unbiased since both are good machines. i work at a place wehre we turn wood into animal bedding and have a S300 Bobcat V518 Versahandler and a CT 332 Deere all are nice machines but the deere has held up best of all. Our application is extreme the dust is terrable, its like sand only lighter. in my opinion id take the deere, Bobcat, being a good machine needs a redesign, the sideways engine isnt practical and the top radiator plugs easy, plenty of power, just overheats regulary, ackward placement of stuff, not as well sealed off as deere. Its hydrolics are smoother and more advanced i think but the deere will outperform it, even wehen the track advantages are factored out. I would go for deere, more practical but bobcats are good machines also, we own a 743 at our house

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF hilbile! :drinkup

Fieldman12

I have a 250 Series II Deere which is very close in design to the later 300 series even though there where allot of little upgrades. Have friends that have the 322CTL,317, 250, and 240 and all of us have been very pleased with them. They seem to be very reliable machines over all. About the only things is allot of people complain because of the boom sway, but that is just the nature of the beast (verical lift path). I dont even notice the boom sway anymore. They are very easy machines to service. You can get all around the entire motor which is what most other brands do not offer except New Holland. Another nice feature I like is the motor, chain case, and hydraulics all use 15-40 motor oil. The Deere's lift more than about any othe brand in there class. The motors are very reliable. Mine burns a little over 2 gallons an hour. Another thing I like is Deere has dealerships about everywhere. That is something that most other brands dont offer. The cabs could be more air tight to keep the dust out. Overall the machines are really good and I would not be affraid of even a early 200 series if all the updates have been done. I think Deere is going to give a Bobcat a big run for there money in the next ten years. Between Deere, Cat, and Case I think they are going to eat Bobcat. Another thing good is the Deeres cost allot less to purchase.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
hilbile, welcome to the forums!

On a separate note, was your company mentioned in the John Deere Worksite Journal a couple of issues back?

hilbile

Occupation
Manual labor
hilbile, welcome to the forums!

On a separate note, was your company mentioned in the John Deere Worksite Journal a couple of issues back?

yes that was us. i was fortunate enough to be quoted a few times but my picture was not taken. Another side note, i spent 2 or 3 hours cleaning that machine top to bottom for them to just go and get it dirty again. it was a fun time though.

jazak, what part of the foot controls dont you like on bobcat, i actually prefir them to deere, especially the auxillery and the foot pedals too frankly because my boots are too big and i cannot operate the pedals very good :Banghead :)

smick

Occupation
MFG Engineer / Mechanic
Fieldman12, or anyone else for that matter, do you know how to raise the boom on a deere or newholland for service if the machine will not start? I have a forklift available, but wanted to ask before I tried to just lift it.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Fieldman12, or anyone else for that matter, do you know how to raise the boom on a deere or newholland for service if the machine will not start? I have a forklift available, but wanted to ask before I tried to just lift it.

Crack a hydraulic line on the lift cyclinder on the bood and lift the boom slowly witht he forklift..Uoy will need a pan to catch the oil.Also pin the boom when it is at the raised hight for safety.Good luck:usa

thejdman04

I think both are reliable. I would go with the best local dealership and support. If that were = id go w/ a deere

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Go for a Case 60 XT for small stuff or a Cat 257 for a little bigger work. You don't eat with your feet and you should not grade with them either. Don't like the deere hydraulics and the bobcats seem jumpy to me.