• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat V518 Versahandler Hydraulic PWM spool issues

Sniffy

2008 V518 Versahandler

I've lost functionality from the boom extend circuit and aux hydraulics out by the tool carrier. At first it was a bit possessed, not working then extending at random intervals and directions but I solved that by unplugging the hydraulic solenoid when not in use. :(
Then it decided that it would only work once a day and that I had better figure out what length I needed the boom out because that was it until the end of the day. Sometimes it would slowly creep out over a few days if not chained up!
I even tried to swap the two plugs on the PWM valve solenoids to see if it was a bad control module or wiring from the joystick to the valve but that didn't work. Eventually I got fed up and pulled the entire valve bank (boom up/down, front tilt, Aux hyd, and boom extend/retract) and took it into a local hydraulics shop. They took it apart cleaned up the little screens in the valve but tossed it back to me saying that they couldn't test PWM spool valves. I reinstalled it but it was the same.
SO....
From a hydraulic perspective the valve is ok. Spools, bores, seals look ok. Bobcat can't figure it out and wants to 'shotgun' new parts to the tune of $5k for a valve, and no guarantees that it will solve the problem.
Before I abandon the factory pwm valve and re-plumb it over to a standard hydraulic 12v 4-way 3-position directional control valve does anyone know
A) how to test the PWM solenoid?
B) how to test the control module without the propitiatory bobcat diagnostic kit (or where to get one cheap)
C) Any shop that can test the solenoid off the machine for functionality. I really don't want to break open the hydraulics again but the pwm solenoid is just bolted onto the valve and could be removed.

Attachments

• 20200421_132234.jpg
    20200421_132234.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200421_132223.jpg
    20200421_132223.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200421_125044.jpg
    20200421_125044.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200421_125018.jpg
    20200421_125018.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
2008 V518 Versahandler

I've lost functionality from the boom extend circuit and aux hydraulics out by the tool carrier. At first it was a bit possessed, not working then extending at random intervals and directions but I solved that by unplugging the hydraulic solenoid when not in use. :(
Then it decided that it would only work once a day and that I had better figure out what length I needed the boom out because that was it until the end of the day. Sometimes it would slowly creep out over a few days if not chained up!
I even tried to swap the two plugs on the PWM valve solenoids to see if it was a bad control module or wiring from the joystick to the valve but that didn't work. Eventually I got fed up and pulled the entire valve bank (boom up/down, front tilt, Aux hyd, and boom extend/retract) and took it into a local hydraulics shop. They took it apart cleaned up the little screens in the valve but tossed it back to me saying that they couldn't test PWM spool valves. I reinstalled it but it was the same.
SO....
From a hydraulic perspective the valve is ok. Spools, bores, seals look ok. Bobcat can't figure it out and wants to 'shotgun' new parts to the tune of $5k for a valve, and no guarantees that it will solve the problem.
Before I abandon the factory pwm valve and re-plumb it over to a standard hydraulic 12v 4-way 3-position directional control valve does anyone know
A) how to test the PWM solenoid?
B) how to test the control module without the propitiatory bobcat diagnostic kit (or where to get one cheap)
C) Any shop that can test the solenoid off the machine for functionality. I really don't want to break open the hydraulics again but the pwm solenoid is just bolted onto the valve and could be removed.
Whats your serial number . I should be able get you in the right direction .

Jlazaro317

Did you ever figure this one out? I've got a 2007 V518 that won't extend...don't know if the issue is the joystick, controller, solenoid, or ?...With PWM solenoids not sure how to test. I've got voltage and ground at the valve. 2 other wires I'm assuming to carry the pulse to actuate. Don't want to start throwing parts at the machine. I've swapped the telescope and aux plugs and nothing. I've never used the aux so don't know if it worked in the first place.
Serial number is 367612593