• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat t650 longevity

EvanM

Demoing a 950hr machine open cab(my preference)

Also tried a 595. The 650 to me is a much better working machine. We do residential house clearances plus utilities and prep for flat work. We're a two man crew doing 100houses give or take 20 a year. A few smaller commercial jobs thrown in due to being tied to a few local bigger dirt outfits.

The 650 is a work horse it has 18" tracks. Ive put about 30hrs on it slopping through idahos winter.

Should I look at cats 259 or kubota 75.
John deer skids do not have a good reputation here so aren't being considered.
I do have some time in the inclosed cabs. They are to to inconvenient I like hearing how my blades cutting the bring a bunch of extra computer crap.
20210123_150705.jpg

Its an expense we have to make but I always fear im making the wrong one. Sometimes you just gotta do it.

If we do im wondering about getting tracks the narrower if they fit and a tooth bucket thrown in.
They are asking 44 for this machine. Ughhh

Thanks guys.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
44K for an open cab with a 1000 hrs seems a bit high especially in Idaho. You may like an open cab but reselling that will be harder. I get you don't buy simply to gain resale but I think matters. Even if you got a cabbed unit, and pulled the door off may be an option. You should be able to get a cabbed unit for that price. Confirming that suspicion I checked Machinery Trader and most like machines are low 30's to high 30's with an open cab. I would demo a couple others, it will either confirm the BC decision or make you change your mind. At least you will have more information to make you feel better about your decision.

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
No experience with the 650, but I’ve got about 400 hours on my T595. Extremely happy with my machine. I got it with hi-flow hydraulics and it’s quite a workhorse. It’s been for all intents and purposes, trouble free. Any issues I’ve had have been self induced. I second KSSS’s comments on the cab issue. You can always pull the door if you want to operate it as an open station. It’s a 5 minute job at tops. I’ve got a rotary mower/mulcher and it wouldn’t dream of operating that without the protection of the cab. Personally, I wouldn’t have one without a cab. Just my opinion. Good luck with your purchase.

EvanM

I won't own a cabbed unit. Did buy it. I see to many guys messing with the radio and heat/ac controls. MOVE THE DIRT.
Ended up getting it for 40.
We won't resale it. Will run it into the ground and move on

I demoed a cabbed 595. Track came off and it took an off god to get out of the machine.
I was unable to find either a kubota or cat open unit to try. I do have some time in a cabled 259 and liked it. All except for keys getting locked in it in the middle were end dumps needed to dump

Just did the 1000 hr service on the t650

I did want to save 10k or so and bring something from back east.

We've put so far about 45hrs on the 650 it may seem alittle under powered the more I get used to it. Its even been doing some digging.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
A couple of our Bobcat field mechanics told me that the average life of a skidsteer/CTL, should be about 3000 hrs. Additional hours on one will greatly increase operating costs.
Jeff

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
At least they came down some on the price. You paid more for it than you had to, but you bought local and hopefully they will back that additional money with good service and loaners if yours goes down. Here in Eastern Idaho you would have a hard time finding a decent operator WILLIING to MOVE THE DIRT in an open air machine in the Spring Winter and Fall, freezing their azz off. Your weather down there is a lot different than ours though. Good luck with it.