• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat t320 shuts down seconds after starting. No codes!! Help

hardscapes89

Hi, I am having some start up issues with my 07’ T320. After 4 days of not running the machine due to inclement weather I attempted to start up the machine and when the motor turned over and fired it only starts up for a couple seconds then shuts down with no codes flashing. No sputter or signs of lack of fuel flow, fuel primer pump doesn’t look constricted, changed fuel filter and checked fuel flow fuse/relay and even charged the battery. Unfortunately these attempts never solved the issue, it like something is shutting off fuel directly to the motor. Since the machine is not flashing codes its difficult to determine the cause of the immediate shutdown. Please keep in mind we have had 32 and below tempts for the past week. I called bobcat and they said just bring it in…Naturally. I have a shop where we service our equipment so the ability to work on the machine is no stranger to me.. If anyone has suggestions or possible leads to a solution it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Wes J

Is it out in the cold or in the shop? Could be gelled fuel, bad fuel pump, ice in the fuel system, or some kind of electrical gremlin. Drag it in the shop and warm it up and see what happens.

hardscapes89

Its been outside which has never been an issue for the machine. Today was in the 50's for the first time in over two weeks but I am gonna try and drag it in the shop and go from there. Thank you.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Bobcat machines do not "flash codes", and they don't store codes, you have to manually bring up codes when they are active. When the machine stalls out, do you hear three beeps from the alarm?

hardscapes89

The machine does not sound the 3 beeps when it shuts down. After the machine shuts down after running for a few short seconds I have proceeded to hold the light button for a couple seconds and the screen displays "none" which gave me the inclination that machine is failing to recognize any potential problems.

mitch504

No guess what engine this is, but on most diesels, a clogged return line does this.

Pull the return line off the pump and try it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, just wanted to verify that.

Do the displays go dark when it shuts down? Or do they pretty much stay powered up and the engine simply dies?

hardscapes89

Ok, just wanted to verify that.

Do the displays go dark when it shuts down? Or do they pretty much stay powered up and the engine simply dies?

The displays remain powered after the stall. Machine does not sound like its starving for fuel it is a quick shut down like when I would normally shut it down manually. I have done some reading on fuel solenoids failing but from what I have read the machine usually recognizes it. So kind of scratching my head as I listed what I have already attempted which brought no luck.. ahhh

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Right you are. With a fault with pretty much any electrical control a Bobcat controller (ECM) recognizes it. There are exceptions, but you rarely see them happen. In this case, even though you suspect the fuel supply is good, we need to start there as that's one of the things the controller "can't see". For example, a faulty lift pump. Let's try this, and you're going to need a helper. Disconnect the fuel inlet hose to the fuel primer bulb. Connect a piece of fuel hose to the primer bulb and drop that hose in a fuel can. Have a helper start the machine and you start pumping that primer bulb like a mad man, see if the engine continues to run. If it still stalls, drat! I'm not sure what to tell you as I'm not familiar with the engine on a T320. If it continues to run, we have a fuel supply problem.

mitch504

Another thought: does this have seperate pull-in and run wires on the fuel solenoid?

What engine is this, anyway?

hardscapes89

Another thought: does this have seperate pull-in and run wires on the fuel solenoid?

What engine is this, anyway?

Kubota V3800DIT Engine Tier 2. The solenoid has a total of 3 wires coming out that connects into an adaptor which ties it into a main wiring harness if thats what your asking.

mitch504

One wire should have power just while the starter is engaged to pull the valve open, another should have power anytime key is on, to hold the valve open. The third wire should be a ground. If the hold open coil isn't powered, the engine will start but shutoff immediately.

If it was me, the first thing check is to pull the return line and make sure fuel is pouring out of the injector pump, then make sure I had power on at least one wire. Then try Willie's test.

Good Luck,
Mitch

crewchief888

Kubota V3800DIT Engine Tier 2. The solenoid has a total of 3 wires coming out that connects into an adaptor which ties it into a main wiring harness if thats what your asking.

the adapter harness thats plugged into the solenoid is the root of the problem.

the contacts (usually) on the solenoid & plug get a varnish type coating on them, and will stop making contact.

sometimes cleaning everything with contact cleaner will get it up and running, but typically replacing the solenoid with the updated version ( without the adapter harness) cures the problem.

if you remove the solenoid and "bump" the engine, to activate the solenoid, then wiggle the connector around the plunger will pop back out.

:drinkup

hardscapes89

I want to thank everyone for the input that was provided; fortunately the cause of the issue was located. Bad solenoid.. It was a series of process of elimination but machine is running great. thanks again

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for reporting the cause of the error hardscapes89. By golly I learned something here, a fault with the fuel shut down solenoid that the main controller doesn't see. Hmmm. Have to remember that. :drinkup

crewchief888

Thanks for reporting the cause of the error hardscapes89. By golly I learned something here, a fault with the fuel shut down solenoid that the main controller doesn't see. Hmmm. Have to remember that. :drinkup

the old style solenoids had a jumper harness that plugged into the solenoid and then into the engine harness.
the newer style plugs directly into the eng harness.

it drove us crazy when it first started happening, no codes, and many times the machine would fire right back up and run for quite a while before it happened again. eventually you'd get a no start, with no codes. :eek:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
it drove us crazy when it first started happening, no codes, and many times the machine would fire right back up and run for quite a while before it happened again. eventually you'd get a no start, with no codes. :eek:

I'd say that would drive one crazy. By the time the G series came around we got so used to the main controller being able to see problems with the fuel solenoid and giving us the alert and suspected problem, it would be unconceiveable now for a Bobcat to "not" be able to see this problem, just seems weird.

crewchief888

wait until you get an early G series that wont unlock the brake, and no codes.

a bad ,dirty or misadjusted speed sensor... no codes,
even tho there are codes written for speed sensor issues..:Banghead

however the brake will release from the remote start tool :duh

JesseJamison

My symptoms were exactly the same with no code. Turned out to be a leaky primer bulb. Small cracks on both ends leaking ever so slightly caused the issue (it had been running a little rough from time to time and then stopped running altogether). I saw the tiny wet area under the bulb. Bypassed the bulb and it now runs solid. Thanks to this thread I had already ordered the solenoid and was plotting my course of action, looking for leaks when I made this observation. Canceled that order and ordered the bulb. Love this forum.