• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T300 instrument panel cuts off

jkflatt

A little over 2000 hrs and has keyless instrument panel, when you push “run enter”, panel lights up, ac fan kicks on, then panel cuts off.
I parked it to do some maintenance, raised and locked the boom in up position. Raised cab to inspect, lowered cab, then the above happens. May be a coincidence. I checked the fuses, moved a couple relays to test, still same. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Two things to check first off. 1) make sure the battery connections are clean and making good connections. Yes, this means busting the battery connections loose at the battery and inspect/clean them, not just give them a visual, this includes that nest of ground wires that connect to the negative battery terminal, and 2) check that connector where the frame wiring harness connects to the cab wiring harness. I had a T300 do that once on a jobsite, was a bad connection at that connector. Pulled it apart and could see the socket was corroded where the pin connects for the power wire to cab harness, seems I recall it was either red or red/white wire. Had to do a quick jobsite fix by cutting the wire on each side of the connector and install a jumper wire to by-pass connector.

jkflatt

Thank you for the replies. I removed and wire brushed the battery connections. Same result. Then went to the cab wiring harness (behind the 5” plastic plug on left outside frame) unplugged inspected, looks good, & reconnected. Still comes on when push run- enter for about 2-3 seconds and goes out. Also noticed that nothing lights up on left panel.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks so much!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The left panel is where everything happens in the cab, it contains the processor that communicates with the main controller in the chassis. Of course there can still be a number of causes, but still the first thing you need to verify is that the left panel is getting power, especially when you put it under load such as powering it up. I had another Bobcat , at that main plug you found, pins and sockets were clean and good, but when I probed the power wire going into and coming out of the connector I found I had power on the input side, but nothing coming out, wire connection was bad where it was crimped inside the connector housing. Another jumper wire around job and got it running. The wires you need to check would be wires numbered from 1000 to 1999, they will be red, red/white, or red/orange. And you'll have to test the wires by probing them, once you unplug a connector you can't test when powering up the controller. Pull the left panel out and start testing those wires I mentioned, and do when you power things up at the right panel as well. Again, all the right panel does is send input commands, such as start, back to the processor in the left panel, and the right panel gets its power from the left panel. If your wires test good, possibility that the processor in the left panel is going south, but no way I know to test this.

BTW, at any time when you power it up do you hear three short beeps from the alarm or see any message, such as "INPUT", in the hour meter display?

jkflatt

When you push the run- enter the right panel lights up with the Bobcat logo, the ac fan starts and then all goes off. No beeps.. left panel does not light up nor do gauges move. I did push the lights button on the left panel and the lights come on, then go out.

I’ll test those wires next.
Thank you!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Given what you posted, you've got a flipped out situation I've never seen before.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've been around Bobcat machines for years and I've never seen that symbol. Crewchief888 might know what it is.

jkflatt

Willie59
“2) check that connector where the frame wiring harness connects to the cab wiring harness. “

Just to make sure in checking the right one, where is this connector you are referring to?
Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Tilt the cab up. Find that bundle of wires that comes out of the back of the cab and runs down the back wall of the machine frame. If you're standing at the front of the machine looking inward at the machine innards it will be on your right side. Follow that bundle of wires down until you find a multi wire connector. That's where the cab harness connects to the frame harness

jkflatt

Found That symbol in my photo above in the service manual:
“Bobcat Controller / Display Icon: Indicates communication error between Bobcat controller and instrument panel. (See DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE CODES on Page 60-90-1)”

I going over the wiring again, I removed the right panel again, moving the wiring and connector, and once it came on and allowed me to start it. Removed connector, checked wiring, cleaned terminals, and still does same - Push run, you hear relay click and then it clicks again and shuts off. Already moved relays around, and am going to see if I can get a new relay to see if that helps.

If the right panel is going bad, which appears to be expensive, can I replace it with the switch panel? Or does the delux panel have to work to download info to the switch panel?
Thanks

jkflatt

Turned out to be a bad left panel. Had to get Bobcat service tech to come out to check it. Plugged new panel in and fired right up.