• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T300 case drain filter has metal in it

Mike_IUOE

Occupation
Operating Engineer
Hi, I've been a lurker here for a while and just made an account .

I am needing some guidance with my 03 Bobcat T300. My power quicktach stopped working and I read willie59's thread about how to diagnose it. He said the cause is usually from a failing pump or drive motor and to check the filters. Well I did, and I have metal shavings in it. I pulled the main filter and drained it into a bucket and there are small fillings in it. I then pulled the case drain filter for the finials and it has quite a bit in it. It was not clogged, but there was alot of metal in it. about 50 hours ago I had serviced the machine and the case drain filter was clean at the time so it must have started pretty recently. It really surprised me since the machine runs great with no noises, doesnt pull to one side, and no power loss.

I am assuming that since the case drain was full of metal my problem lays in the finals and not the pump? I saw a video saying to pull the case drain hose, run the machine and it should just have a small trickle coming from the hose. Anything more than a trickle means problems. I started the machine and at idle not touching the controls, I have a full flow stream coming out from both the right and left case drain hoses.

What is the best way to proceed from here? Since I have so much case drain flow from both motors are both of them shot? Or is there a way to pinpoint which side caused all of the shavings in the filter?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
It would suggest that the drive motor/ motors are worn but not necessarily the planetary drives. I also suggest that you don't run your machine any more than absolutely necessary or you'll be buying a new pump as well. Hydraulic pumps hate pumping scrap metal.

Mike_IUOE

Occupation
Operating Engineer
No I am not running it. Its just for home use. I only started it once since I found the metal and that was to check the flow from the case drain lines. I put a magnet into the hydraulic reservoir and I got filings from there as well. Does the fluid go from the tank to the filter, or is the filter on the return side going back to the tank? Do you think it messed up the pump as well since there is metal in the system?

Tones

Occupation
I'm not familiar with the schematics of your machine but have had failures with other brands. Check the filters and any magnets, you should be looking for brass as well as other metals. Hopefully the filters have done their job and the pump has survived but no guarantees on that. The pump can be flow and pressure tested on the machine while you are waiting for the drive motors to be fixed. I'll leave it to the more enlightened people on here to give any further advice. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Mike, when you can check the oil level in the planetary hubs. With that amount of case drain leakage it could damage the shaft seal.

Mike_IUOE

Occupation
Operating Engineer
I will do that. Today I talked with one of the equipment mechanics at work and he said get rid of it. He said there is no way to get all of the metal out of the system without removing every component and flushing it out which gets pretty expensive. He thinks I'll be chasing problems related to it after replacing the drives. I really hate to do that since I wont get much for it in its current state. Plus I just put new tracks, sprockets, rollers and tensioners on it not that long ago. I guess I have some thinking to do.

BigWrench55

First thing is to find the problem. I would do a flow test on each drive motor for the case drain. And see if they are within spec. Once you find what the problem is change all filters and oil. Your local dealer or hydraulic shop should have what is called a kidney loop. They can plumb it into your hydraulic system and filter out your system. What all that would cost you I have know idea. But it's worth looking into to see if it is economically viable. Good luck to you.