• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T200. Engine Heat Issue

Bubba

Occupation
Locomotive Engineer, Property Management, Clearing
What is the normal Operating Temp for a Deutz 1011F. Mine heats up in 15 minutes with analog gauge. After 45-60 minutes I its in the yellow and at 75 minutes it's close to the red. Vitals show about 258. I replaced the tensioner, pulley and belt. No change. I replaced the sending unit, cleaned the radiator by blowing out and washing with water. No change. I used a temp gun and checked engine hoses, block, head and nowhere I read what's on gauge. I order a thermostat. Just replaced the turbo with 850 hours on engine. I can't figure out what I need to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

crewchief888

What is the normal Operating Temp for a Deutz 1011F. Mine heats up in 15 minutes with analog gauge. After 45-60 minutes I its in the yellow and at 75 minutes it's close to the red. Vitals show about 258. I replaced the tensioner, pulley and belt. No change. I replaced the sending unit, cleaned the radiator by blowing out and washing with water. No change. I used a temp gun and checked engine hoses, block, head and nowhere I read what's on gauge. I order a thermostat. Just replaced the turbo with 850 hours on engine. I can't figure out what I need to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:
what temp is the temp gun reading?

:beatsme

:drinkup

Bubba

Occupation
Crew chief. Here goes. These reading is when the Vitals engine temp is reading at 214 degrees.
Line leaving the radiator at the radiator 108 degrees, top of radiator on side leaving radiator 95 deg., middle of same line 109, at the block where line enters the connection to block 138. Block reading 198. Head reading 200. At the thermostat 202. Line connection on right side going to radiator 188. Line going to radiator half way up reading 163. Line connection going into radiator 108. Top of radiator right side where it goes into radiator that comes from thermostat 130. Plug at sending unit 133. I know this is a lot of checking but I can't figure it out and don't want to warp a head or burn a head gasket or worse crack a head or block. I will try to copy my readings and post it to this thread for a better understanding. Thank chief for you responding.

Bubba

Occupation
Hopefully the above picture may allow a better understanding. Thanks

Todd v.

Try the thermostat, might be opening late or not opening enough to allow full coolant flow. With the temp of the water coming out of the rad it's either flowing very slowly or not at all. If not the t/stat it could be a water pump or a restriction somewhere.

bobcan

If I am not mistaken, those ^ 1011 series ^ are actually 'oil cooled' are they not..?? And if so, I suspect quite likely may be intended to run quite a bit Hotter than a 'normal liquid cooled' engine.. perhaps..

That being said, I am NO Deutz tech, but we have had many older air-cooled ones at the farm, and were always good machines if kept clean..

Good Luck on the quest here!!

crewchief888

Try the thermostat, might be opening late or not opening enough to allow full coolant flow. With the temp of the water coming out of the rad it's either flowing very slowly or not at all. If not the t/stat it could be a water pump or a restriction somewhere.

If I am not mistaken, those ^ 1011 series ^ are actually 'oil cooled' are they not..?? And if so, I suspect quite likely may be intended to run quite a bit Hotter than a 'normal liquid cooled' engine.. perhaps..

That being said, I am NO Deutz tech, but we have had many older air-cooled ones at the farm, and were always good machines if kept clean..

Good Luck on the quest here!!

the 1011 duetz is oil cooled

those temps dont seem far off to me, around here the recycling/scrap guys loved those engines, they would run all day at 250*

my best guess would be the thermostat

:drinkup

Bubba

Occupation
Thanks Everyone for the reply. I replaced the Thermostat this afternoon, ran it for about 30 minutes sitting at full throttle and temp maintained about 140 deg. I think that might have fixed it. When pulling the thermostat out I had to pick it out with my pocket knife and it appeared that it may have been stuck not allowing oil to completely circulate. I appreciate the input. I will update this thread after I run it in a few days. Thanks again fellows.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
While you're in there working on it, in what kind of shape are the cooling hoses? Those things get hard as a rock over time, if they're in real poor condition you might consider replacing them. Also, how many hours do you have on that engine since the timing belt was replaced?

Bubba

Occupation
Willie59 glad you responded on this. If you remember I had issues with this machine right after I bought it. My dealer felt the pain with me and we replaced the engine and radiator back in November. 2011. It had 2091 hrs on it now it's got 2980 hrs. Never replaced the timing belt, but the dang turbo just got replaced. The hoses look good from the outside. I did learn a valuable lesson on what took out the turbo. I have always believed faithfully in Lucas oil additive I used it in everything I got. But I want put another drop in a duetz engine. Me and my mechanic believe what burnt the turbo up was by adding Lucas to the oil it thickening the viscosity and starved the turbo. As you may probably know the inlet to the turbo is about size of a pencil point. I would say less than a 1/4 inch. And sometime when it needed oil I just put some Lucas in it. Another thing was I did not allow 2-5 minutes warm up before going full throttle. The turbo just was not getting the required lubricating it needed. Back to the timing belt do you recommend me to change it. And put new hose on it. I sincerely trust your opinion. You have always been helpful in the pass and I thank you sir.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm going on a vague memory here, but I'm thinking one should replace the timing belt somewhere between 2 to 3000 hours, crewchief888 could confirm when one needs to change that timing belt. As for the coolant hoses, it's more of an inspection and proactive thing. As has been stated, that's an oil cooled engine, meaning, it sends motor oil from the engine through a radiator to cool the engine as opposed to a water jacket cooled engine, and it sends that oil through typical hydraulic type hoses. Over time the high heat from the oil coming from the engine makes the hoses get hard as a rock, one can give them a good bend and make them crack. I don't know if there's recommended time to change those hoses, just saying keep an eye on them, you just don't want to push them so long that they fail and dump the engine oil. :)

Bubba

Occupation
Thanks willie59 and crewchief888 and others for their input. I try run this thing next couple days and see if the thermostat took care of the heating issue and get back and let y'all know how it turn out. I think the Lucas overdose may have got it all gummed up and wasn't let it open completely causing the temp to raise. Thanks again everybody.