• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T190 new cylinder head but wont start

nepondguy

Hey guys. I just finished replacing the cylinder head on my T190 after an overheating issue caused the head to crack and blow the gasket. Everything on the repair seemed to go pretty smoothly but the darn thing won't start now. I cracked all of the fuel lines at the injectors until fuel was spurting out but still no luck. It sounds like it wants to start and is blowing a dark grey smoke as it turns over. What am I missing? Was there some adjustment that got screwed up during the process? I knew it was all going too smoothly!! I appreciate any and all thoughts and suggestions.

Delmer

Is there a plastic bag in the intake somewhere? Otherwise timing is all I can think of, but how could you mess that up??? You can't mix up the injection lines/order, could you?

nepondguy

Haha no pretty sure all plastic bags were removed. From what i understand timing is controlled by the fuel pump which was not touched. No the injection lines are all pre bent and cant be mixed up. Maybe I have a bad connection on the glow plugs?

lantraxco

Possible issue with the valve lash setting procedure?

Could be some loss of compression from the overheat, piston rings lost their tension or are cooked stuck in the piston grooves. Try some WD40 in the intake with the air cleaner removed, see if the lubricant and volatile stuff will help it light.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
When I went out w/ my back problems there was 6, 190's in the yard w/ various engine problems from a rental co.. GOD I hate those things!!
It took 1 guy 3 tries to seal a head gasket.. kept getting coolant in the oil after the gasket change..
I 2nd the GP connection..
Have I told you how much I hate working on those machines.??

nepondguy

I just checked the glow plugs and they all have the correct resistance. The connection seems to be good?? Getting very frustrated now!!

Delmer

Are the glow plugs getting voltage before cranking? did you check the valves again?

nepondguy

i just tore things back apart. When i pulled the intake manifold off the middle two cylinders were "wet". Any thoughts?

DIYDAVE

wet as in coolant leak into cyl's? If so, head gasket, or a crack somewhere is possible...

Delmer

Sounds like it wasn't firing on the middle two, wet with diesel? For it to fire it needs compression and fuel, at the right time. I suppose you could check the valves for leaking, turn the head upside down and fill the valve recess with a little gas to see if it leaks through. Check the head and block with a straight edge and feeler gauges.

I suppose with "inline pumps" the injection lines don't cross over like they do with a rotary pump, so they'd be pretty obvious if they were swapped, right?

Maybe check the injectors in the middle two. Do they have to be "aimed", is there any way they go in the wrong way. Or maybe you just didn't give it enough time to bleed the air out of the injectors?

Checking valves is simple, get one cylinder to TDC (both valves tight or tight within a small rotation) and it's pair (mirror image) cylinder will be TDC on the compression stroke to check the valve tappet clearance with feeler gauge. Also make sure those two center cylinders have the same lift as the outer two, you can do this with the head off just as easily as on.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Pull the injectors and have them checked.. Check EACH glow plug..
Just because you have voltage to the GP rail, doesn't mean they ALL are getting hot.
Just hit each one w/ 12v and SEE if they get hot.
I cant remember if the injectors are indexed.. that's to say, will only go in 1 way..
Save yourself some $$ and fill w/ water in the cooling system on the first start-up..
See post #5. oil and coolant HAD TO be changed 3x..
Once its back together, valves are adjusted, do a compression test.
Keep us informed..

nepondguy

Yes it is wet with oil or diesel. The outer two are bone dry. The valves have been adjusted but I can triple check them. I am having the injectors tested today. They do only go in one way and the lines can't be crossed. Of course the fuel return line broke on me as i was pulling the injectors so I have to grab a new one as well as a new intake manifold gasket. Will be a few days before I can get it back together I am guessing. I will let you know how the injectors test out and I will check each glow plug as well.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Gasket might be okay if it was new and the engine not started but it sounds like the valves might be a little tight and they're pumping up and holding open.

Delmer

Add 50% to the valve clearance. If the spec is .012", make it .018". Valve clearance keeps coming up because they are the obvious thing to change when you swap a head.

I agree, the head gasket is fine to reuse. Unless it's not sealing between the middle two, you could crank it with the fuel injection shut off and see how it sounds for the compression test by ear. But you have the injectors out, put the head back on, set the valves and crank it to get the compression readings.

lantraxco

Silly question, did you have to move the valve adjuster screws a long ways when setting the valve lash?

nepondguy

No the valve adjustment was very minor. I may be on to something though. I just had the injectors tested and all tested out fine. In discussing my issues with the guy that did the testing he had an idea. The fittings that the fuel lines attach to on the pump were moved which I now understand can throw everything off. I am going to pull the pump and bring it back to him to have it recalibrated and such. He is confident that is the issue. Cross your fingers!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Save yourself a lot of trouble.. 14mm socket and a torque wrench. 30-35 ft lbs..
YOU MUST TIME THE PUMP before pulling it off.!!!

nepondguy

So the pump has been rebuilt and tested but still no luck in getting it to start. I even removed the muffler today to make sure there isn't an issue there. I guess I need to get a compression tester now and see if I have a real major problem.