• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S205 shutdown issue

i have a bobcat S205 that has been shutting down when I try to engage to move. Checked relays, fuses, changed alternator, seemed to work after tightening battery terminals, then didn’t, fixed after changing relays then didn’t not sure if it’s a solenoid, short or sensor???

i have a bobcat S205 that has been shutting down when I try to engage to move. Checked relays, fuses, changed alternator, seemed to work after tightening battery terminals, then didn’t, fixed after changing relays then didn’t not sure if it’s a solenoid, short or sensor???
Had a code come up, the first code and only one that won't go away D 7552 but doesn't make sense?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Can't say for certain, but I doubt a back up alarm error (D7552) would cause shutdown. To be clear and know we're on the same page, what method did you use to get that code?

Can't say for certain, but I doubt a back up alarm error (D7552) would cause shutdown. To be clear and know we're on the same page, what method did you use to get that code?
Wasn't the only code but the only one that stays, had a mechanic out and that's the only code left and won't go away, he thought it was alternator and replaced it but it still won't go, he said same as you code shouldn't do that?From what I gather an electrical fault can send meaningless codes up and the battery terminals were loose. Every time we think we have the answer it's wrong.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
To be clear, Bobcat machines don't work like automotive computers, they don't "store" codes, they only work with real time active faults/codes. The way it works, anytime you're working the machine and you hear three short beeps from the alarm, that's the main controller telling you it's seeing an active fault. Right then, don't do anything else, don't turn off ignition, instead, right then press and hold down the headlight button, this will bring up the code(s) for the active fault the main controller is seeing. Once you shut off the ignition it re-sets and wipes clean. That's the way a Bobcat is designed and supposed to work.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Since I'm half way around the world and no update on my post I must ask for more detail on shut down for me to ponder tomorrow. Is it immediate shutdown like you turned ignition off? Or is it a slow shutdown like the engine is running out of fuel? Electrical component faults will cause three beeps from the alarm. And some, like low charge pressure, will cause immediate shut down. But other problems, like starving for fuel, will not cause shut down codes.

We got Clarks out and they think it's a fried drive controller, still doesn't explain weird codes but they are going to replace it on Monday and will find out for sure. Anyone that has had a similar problem this may help them as I've read everything I could find on the Internet and couldn't find anything similar so will let you know if it's right. No not a fuel problem just shuts down straight away.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, do keep us updated. It's not often a Bobcat has a failed main controller, they're a relatively durable unit, but it does happen. I hope you get it sorted out.