• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S185 intermittent park brake locking up

Manistar

I have a bobcat s185 that recently has the park brake coming on intermittently while operating. Sometimes it can run for an hour and not do it but sometimes you might go five feet and it locks up and about throws you out of the seat. When it happens the only light that it loses out of the four on the BICS is the park brake light. Push the button and you hear the selonoid click and away it goes again.

The other thing that happened a few months ago was the headlight button quit working, this is the same button you hold to get codes but the buttons dead and does nothing. Everything else on the left control panel seems to be working though.

So my question is how likely is it that my left control panel is just going bad and causing the intermittent park brake issue, being that I know its developed some other issues? OR do I have a bad wire/selonoid that needs to be tracked down? In some ways I should probably just replace the $1000 control panel to get my lights back anyhow.

crewchief888

it's possible your panel is bad, i'd do some investigating of the wiring harness from the panel to the mainframe connection under the cab looking for wear or pinched wiring.
many many electrical problems start right at the battery, pull and clean your battery positive cable and clean ALL your grounds. the cluster of small grounds at the neg cable are grounds for all your controllers and panels.
if your machine has an engine speed sensor, that could also cause your problem. ive seen the sensor tip so filthy is stops picking up a signal and causes intermittent problems