• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S185 Hydraulic issues

Dahendo

Hello all,

I Recently picked up a 2004 S185 and it has issues with loader arm drift. I read through the numerous forums and can't find any posts with the same symptoms.

The loader arm drifts down fast. Lifting the lap belt or turning off the machine stop the drift. It only drifts one way, if I use the loader to pick up the machine it holds well. Functioning the auxiliary hydraulics(snowblade, turning it back and forth) will lift the loader arms. Just slightly but if continually functioning them I can lift it all the way in a few minutes.

I was assuming I would be rebuilding the control valve until I noticed the auxiliary hydraulics issue...

I guess it could be both valves, or maybe a cracked control block?

Also, with the lap belt up the brake is on but controls are still active, so if you bump a stick while getting in the machine will try and drive then stall. Should the controls not be bypassed/locked out with the band up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

05sprcrw

The brake just drops a wedge into cut outs that are attached to the front axles and won't let it drive forward or back. There is some play in the system so the levers will move the machine to an extent until the wedge comes in contact with the front/back of the disc.

The issue with the lift arm may possibly be a relief stuck open or a check valve not functioning properly. I am not 100% sure where to start though hopefully some of the smarter guys show up for you.

Dahendo

Good news thanks, that part appears to be working as it should then. Maybe the last one I ran was newer with electric over hydraulic controls which would have been locked out with the lap band up.

Yeah I doubt anyone will be able to point me exactly at the part that needs to be changed. I lifted the cab off and had a look at the control block, does not look fun to pull out...

Dahendo

Dahendo,
Did you ever figure out what was going on with your S185?
After a bit of screwing around, I managed to produce an external leak off the control block while continuing to function the lift arms at maximum lift. It appears to be coming from the spool valve. I've got the seals, just haven't had time to pull the block out and inspect. I'll make sure to post an update with some pictures once I repair it for everyones reference. Plan to rebuild the whole block while I have it out...

NinePine

Dahendo,
Thanks for the update. I also have a S185 so naturally am curious. Hope your new seals solve the issue. To find the leak did you have to operate the lift arms with the cab tilted up? If so how did you get the hydraulics to function with cab up? Is it the same as cab down ( lap bar down, parking brake off, hit button on left panel).

Dahendo

Dahendo,
Thanks for the update. I also have a S185 so naturally am curious. Hope your new seals solve the issue. To find the leak did you have to operate the lift arms with the cab tilted up? If so how did you get the hydraulics to function with cab up? Is it the same as cab down ( lap bar down, parking brake off, hit button on left panel).
Yes, I found it with the cab up, definitely not a safe way to do it. Lift arm to max, shut off machine so arms stop drifting, put in the loader arm lock, lift cab, reach in there and start it, lower lap belt and press the green button. Then you can stare down at the block while reaching up and lifting the loader arm.

If I had to find it again, I would pack around the block with paper towel then function everything to its maximum range, pull the cab and see where is wet.

Dahendo

Well i finally managed to get the hydraulic control block out, what a pain in the ass. Checked all the seals and the only thing I found wrong was a little knick in the spool seal for the tilt spool(picture attached) so I replaced that. Put it back together and the loader arm still drifts.

I would move on to the cylinders but if you shut the machine off, or lock out the hydraulics it stops.

I'm out of ideas, any help fellas?

Attachments

• 15538987881576670276629327319205.jpg
    15538987881576670276629327319205.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

NinePine

Dahendo,
Sorry to here the problem still exists.Thought for sure you had it figured out when you got the control block to leak. Hopefully one of these guys with a lot of experience will chime in and point you in the right direction.

05sprcrw

I am thinking either a check valve or a relief valve must be sticking slightly open for you (probably the check valve), once you deactivate the hydraulics the other side of the lift function locks out and won't let the fluid move any more stopping the movement. But if you had the valve out and went through all that, it might be something different.

JBrady

Have you checked the manual lowering device (not sure that it what it is called). On my S250, it is the red knob on your right by the throttle. Not sure exactly how it works, never used it, but I know that is what it is for. Maybe it's leaking through there?

Dahendo

Have you checked the manual lowering device (not sure that it what it is called). On my S250, it is the red knob on your right by the throttle. Not sure exactly how it works, never used it, but I know that is what it is for. Maybe it's leaking through there?

I thought maybe that as well but when pulling the valve block, I had the loader arm up (safety support in place) and the hydraulics held until I unhooked the hydraulic line to the manual lowering valve, which bled the arm down. So that tells me it was holding.

Dahendo

I'm leaning that way, seals appear fine but maybe the spring is shot or something. Will pull the block again when I have time and update.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dahendo

Well I was able to pull the load check without pulling the block so that's a big plus! However I changed all the seals and springs, inspected the sealing faces for scratches or knicks, everything looked great but the problem persists. I had intended to swap the lift load check with the tilt to test it but they are different sizes so that won't work.

I may have to load this thing up and take it to a dealer, unfortunately the closest one with a service tech is a 3hr drive.

05sprcrw

That is a bummer, I have been chasing something in my aux circuit that is similar to what your facing. I am about at the point of having to take it in as well, have a couple last things to check but everything in the valve looks good. I must be missing something though. If you do square it away please update this with what they find.

Dahendo

It's headed to the shop today. The tech didn't sound very knowledgeable, I'm not all that hopeful he'll be able to repair it. Will keep the thread updated either way!