• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S175 seat bar sensor

johnd765

My seat bar sensor stopped working - no light on BICS, everything else active except Press-To-Operate button is dead.

I pulled the sensor and found that the 3 wires are broken, about 4-5 inches from the sensor connection. I cannot find the other end of the wire. It should have fallen down. I also don't where the wires connect. I have an electrical diagram but cannot locate the bus bar where the wires connect.

This is a 1995 machine, s/n 530117804.

Any help would be appreciated.

johnd

johnd765

OK, no takers on this one yet. Here's where I am. I managed to access the wiring harness and found the other end of the bundle. Not much room to work, but I did splice 3 wires to the end that goes to the controller. I have a wiring diagram and I know that there is an 8v wire, and ground wire, and a signal. When I connected them, I got nothing. No codes, no action. I changed a couple wires around and got error codes. I changed again and got the seat bar light to flash when I put the bar down, but it does not stay on. I think I have tried every combination of wiring, with the same effects but maybe I've missed something.

johnd765

A bit more info...I pulled it all apart again, cleaned the sensor components, put it back together, and I still have the seat bar light flashing once when I put the bar down. I probed the signal (B) wire while I put the bar up and down. It started at 8.8v, dropped to 6.6v when the light came on, then back to 8.8v when the light went off, a second later. I can hear a faint clicking noise when the light comes on.

crewchief888

question
key on, engine running, l
eave the seat bar UP and hit the PTO button,
does the brake unlock?

Ridinhigh1500

Occupation
Dealer Lead Tech
You can't straight wire that safety switch. The ECM is looking for a open circuit and then a closed when the magnetic switch closes when it's down. You can put in like a toggle switch if you really wanted to. The voltages your getting don't sound correct though. Generally safety switches and solenoids are 12v. When I worked at the Bobcat dealer the BICS system Bobcat used was known to be a not very good control system.

johnd765

I'm not trying to wire the safety switch. And if I did, it would fry the sensor, which is at 8v. Today I checked for short to ground and found 2, one on the power, one on the signal. I found another break in the insulation where the 3 wires go into the frame. I cannot get my fingers in to this area, so I'll have to follow the wires in the bundle to a place where I can access them?

johnd765

I gave up today and hired a mobile Bobcat tech. Everyone tells me I need the scan tool to resolve this.