• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat pivot bushings

barnbuilder

Was working on the Bobcat yesterday and noticed a fair amount of movement in the bucket pivot system. Picked up new pins and bushings for the upper and lower pivot cylinder and the lower bobtach pivot. What is the best way to remove the bushings and install the new ones? Thought about going to mu buddy's machine shop and have him make drivers for the two different size bushings.

Thanks

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
On small bearings like that I would have your buddy make up a driver. 10 minute job. Use it to knock the old ones out and drive the new ones in.

lumberjack

Without seeing it, you can usually run some weld the ID of the bushing and it will fall out from the weld contracting. You could use the torch to heat the bushing to the same effect, but I've always welded.

BryanM

Just wondering when you weld the bushing do you just run a bead rom end to end or do you weld a rod to the bushing and then use the rod and beat it out with it.

Do you do that to all the bushing you replace? and what process of welding do you use?

lumberjack

I just run a bead around the circumference of the ID with a MIG. Heat expands metal, the expansion is constrained by the bore causing the bushing's thickness to increase and as it cools, decreasing the OD of the bushing.

I use that method to remove all bearing races and bushings where it will work. It's quick and easy.

gwhammy

I've welded the old pins part of the way in and use them to beat on. Just be careful if you do this, they are hard and will chip sometimes beating on them. What series machine are you working on?

barnbuilder

I have an A300. I don't have a welder, torch or a press. I might just take the bobtach to bobcat and let them take the old bushings out and put the new ones in. I got the bushings out of the lift cylinders. I guess I could take them off the machine and take them to my buddy's machine shop or Bobcat also.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I did mine on my A-300 as well a couple yrs ago (after 4000hrs) and it's no big Deal to change them on the Bobtach …. if I remember correctly I did them right on the machine using a Socket that matched the bore size, and drove them old ones out and then Tapped in the new ones but making sure that the bores were clean first … make sure the seals go in the right way ….. BTW those bushings are coated so I'm thinking a bead of weld won't stick to it anyways …. but they did come out easy enough, if you have a buddy that can machine you a driver get him to fit the driver to the NEW bushings not the Old ones … LOL …. Good-luck ! … Cheers

DIYDAVE

Put the new bushings in the freezer for a coupla hours, and they'll go in easier...:D:D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It really depends on what model Bobcat were discussing. Some of the older models, 753 for example, the coupler pivot bushings are steel and relatively thin, and they have to be pulled out, can't drive them out. On those I simply clean all the grease out of the pivot pin socket and use a carbide burr in a die grinder to cut a slot in the bushing, that way it will relax and pull right out, no worries at all. :)

barnbuilder

Problem with the lower pivot bushings is the step in the bore. When you drive the new ones in from the outside they seat against a step. So in and out one way.

barnbuilder

Well I took the Bobtach to Bobcat today to let them do it. My stepfather has cancer and he is rapidly declining. That way I get to spend time with him and help my Mom.

Thanks guys.
Greg

barnbuilder

Got it back yesterday. $253. $100 for 2 bushings and 2 seals. Now to get the bushings in the cylinder ends. Also have one pin in the bottom of a lift cylinder that won't take grease. Can't get the pin out. Anyone tried one of those grease rejuvenator things where you hit it with a hammer?

cdm123

Sorry to hear about your stepfather... I have hooked up the grease gun and pumped it up till it was tight then while still connected whack the ends of the pin back and forth then pump up again till it loosens then flush it out with lots of frequent greasing.

barnbuilder

I tried the grease joint rejuvenator. It didn't work. I tried pulling the pin. Used a hardened stud threaded into the pin. Slide a large socket over the stud and put a nut on it. It didn't budge. Sprayed with PB Blaster. Put PB in the rejuvenator. For some reason Bobcat put a 45* zerk on that side so it never really took grease. And being behind the battery could really never see it. The battery tray and clamp rods were rusted away so I figured I had needed to replace all of it to keep battery from bouncing around.

Just need to get the bushings in the tilt cylinders. Bushings are .004" larger than the hole. I put the bushings in the freezer but they're still the same size.

Dr. gave my stepfather a week to 10 days on Tuesday so he doesn't have long. We put him in Hospice House on Tuesday also.

Thanks guys. Happy 4th.

barnbuilder

Got it back together. I bought a 1-1/4" bolt to press the bushings in. Went to put the pins in and the battery was dead. Got 5 years out of it so guess I was doing good.