• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat fuel pick up tube repairs

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF ibrory :drinkup

and welcome to the world of working on a Bobcat. :D

crewchief888

Hope this may help someone else as the problem can seem quite daunting.

it's only the 1st 1000 or so that are the hardest, they get much easier after that. :eek:

i average a couple broken fuel pickup hoses a week....
for the last 14 years :dizzy

:drinkup

crewchief888

You have my heart felt sympathy. :cool:

ty ty ty

last week wasnt too bad, only 2 fuel pickups both on 763 G's

but i made up for it
spools seals on a t190,
spool seals on an 864
spool seals on an 853f with bucket positioning and high flow. :Banghead
4 pm's
2 machines with ACS problems
s185 with 2 bent tilt rods

all in the field,
only covered about 750 miles

forgot about
s185 K battery and alt,
that the customer tried to "fix" himself.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, I had to change the drive belt on a T300 in the field last week. Job wasn't too bad, went ahead and yanked battery to get good access, plus that's a good time to service battery terminals anyway. Only problem, damn air cleaner in the way of the tensioner bolt and stop bolt, amazing how much difference moving something (air cleaner) just a half an inch makes once you get the mount bolts out to move it. :cussing

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Thanks Willie59, we have to replace the fuel pickup tube in my 864. The thread you illustrated will be very helpful.

mach123

Well hello all, I am new to this site and like everybody, never come here till there is a problem. I have t300 and went in last week for work on bobtach and got it back and wouldnt stay running. This is a 2007 T300 and start and stall and did notice the primer ball flat, we have been getting a good snow storm lately and thought maybe water in system. So I changed out primer ball (OLD) water seperator, little check valve, prime system up and got it going, let it run for like 2 hrs and noticed ball going flat and the stalled again. So would there be a screen and check valve at the end of my pick up tube in this machine and like mentioned before and pia to get to. I heard not to blow air in line back to tank like one of other guys on here has done many times. I thought I had problem fixed but then notice primer ball flat again. Any help would be grate, THX

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF mach123. :drinkup

I can't say for certain, but I'd wager a 2007 T300 would have the rigid plastic pickup tube inside tank, not the flexible tube with screen and check valve. If you have the rigid tube, you can blow back through the fuel line. But, if you do have the rigid tube, which has no screen/check valve, and your primer bulb is collapsed flat, you definitely have something inside the tank. Even if you blow back through fuel line to dislodge it, it's likely to do it again at some point.

I think you can access the fuel pickup on the T300 by removing the cover behind the boom lift cylinder on the left side, although it's still a bit of a "reaching in" process to access and work on pickup in tank. When primer bulb goes flat (from blockage), I'd be half tempted to disconnect fuel line at outlet side of primer bulb, point primer bulb into a fuel can, and have a helper keep pumping the bulb to keep vacuum on the fuel supply line, reach in and pull out the pickup tube with hopes of bringing the source of blockage with it because of the vacuum on the line. Good luck. :)

mach123

When I squeeze the primer bulb, I can here a something like a flapper clicking and that is why I am wounder if this one does have that check valve in end of line.....So left side when sitting in machine like always, and can I lift cab with out the boom being up. THX

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What you're likely hearing is the back check ball in the primer bulb seating.

Yes, you can raise the cab with loader arms down. Myself, I prefer to have loader arms up and out of my way with safety prop installed.

mach123

Well I open cab on T300 and side plates, wow is all I can say, it is behind big grey pump and can't reach from under cab, so then I lay on left track and stick arm in and can just touch pick up line and return line with finger tips and no way I can pop it out. I can not reach it from any other area, is there a sevice cap on tank that can be open and sucked clean. I would start machine and would run for 1 to 2 hrs and then I can start seeing the primer bulb going flat then stall out. So tonight I was able to blow back into supply line and heard lots of bubbling going on, I have full tank of fuel and if it is something getting to pick up line must not be a floater right, what else have people found or had to do to clean out tank, don't want to pull engine out, hmmmmmmmmmm THX

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the world of working on Bobcat fuel pickup tube mach123. :D

You got it, that thing is a Bi-itch to get to, can only "touch it" by reaching though the access hole on left side, even then, can't see what you're working on, can only feel it. There's no "service cap" on the tank, there may be a small drain hole in the bottom of tank, but it's only about 3/4" to 1" in diameter, no way I can say the debris that's fouling your pickup tube would come out that drain hole if it is there.

I really would give a shot at pulling the pickup tube (while bulb is flat), keep pumping that bulb so it keeps vacuum on the line, pull that pickup tube and see if it brings debris with it. I know it's a pain to do this job, but the alternative is pull the engine. :Banghead

mach123

That is krazy, and we have 3 ft of snow here and working on machine on trailer in driveway, and it's 16 below zero here or more, lol
If I was able to drop the 2 pumps that are overhead of that big grey one I may be able to get to it from there. I think one is to the fan and other is hydaulic, is there a shop manual for this machine somewhere and what would a shop charge to do this job, just woundering because they can take it out and still not find anything either. THX

crewchief888

while the primer bulb is collasped, take the fuel cap off, and see what happens, if it stays collasped......

is the elbow on the fuel suction hose, where it comes out of the tank, steel or plastic?

if it's plastic, i'd bet theres something stuck in the elbow itself. the plastic elbows have a ridgid plastic tube on them, without a check valve, no worries about blowing the check valve off the end of the hose.

mach123

I did take cap off and primer bulb stays flat , it has a steel elbow i did blow the line and shou.ldb work but if something in tank it will happen again right........

crewchief888

I did take cap off and primer bulb stays flat , it has a steel elbow i did blow the line and shou.ldb work but if something in tank it will happen again right........

if it didnt have the check valve on the end of the pickup, it'll be "ok for a while"
probably should pull the plug out of the bottom of the tank, that will flush some of the debris out thats clogging the suction line.
other thing i normally do is replace the the primer bulb, you'd be surprised how much crap makes it that far, even with a filter chage, theres probably still debris in the primer

mach123

Ya I did change the primer bulb and had **** come out of there, and will pull plug out at bottom once I get alittle more emty first and shoot fuel through the fill tube at same time and see what comes out. THX

mach123

Well I got pick up tube out and installed the check valve and sreen and trying to get it back in, I have bloody nuckles and still not in. Is there a trick I should do first, I think it must be twisted and pushed at the same time to pop in, but can not do both any tricks let me know. I did not put on the line that goes back onto the 90 yet as It seems to get more play...THX