• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat Brushcat? Good or Bad?

BIGBEN2004

Looking at some ideals for more work and just curious is the Bobcat Brushcat rotter mowers any good? I would be looking at the 60" cutting model. I like how they have a solid roller across the back and two on the front, one at each corner.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Junk.

I rented one on many occasions and the whole deck is too low, every time I went through tall grass it plugged. The US Mower "Samurai skid Shear" model is the best, it's a higher deck and it has an open front for hacking down trees.

http://www.usmower.com/products/skid/

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums makulay!:drinkup

I am demo'ing one now and I think I will purchase it. It cuts grass and weeds very good and will take down a 3-4" tree, did that why the salesman was watching.:D Well he said it would do it and I wanted to see if it would.

The new ones are better designed than the older ones, plus Bobcat has 0% for 24 months on attachements. Makes it like $250 per month. I have several projects to keep mowed and I can't hire out one for that.

BTW - take it with a grain of salt for what Bobcat ron said, look below his name.:rolleyes: So far I have not experienced the "plugging" while going through tall grass.

Last edited:

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
keep the blades tight i haven't heard of any flying off lately but when they first came out we had a few come off 70 lb blade spinning at a 1000 rpm coming off not good the frames on the bobtach on the 72's seem to crack a lot they have had many up grades as the side bars reinforcement bars on the sides new top solid bars instead of the big spring shock keep the oil in the gear boxes full seen a few lock up from lack of maintenance they have redesigned the 60's they look like the 72's now all in all i would go with the ambusher mower solid mount all that moves is the motor gear box and blades not the floating mount that always seems to break plus the bobcat mowers have a safety shut off where you can't get them off the ground before they shut off most guys take them off anyway so you can get around them

Yellowdog

Welcome to the Forums makulay!:drinkup

I am demo'ing one now and I think I will purchase it. It cuts grass and weeds very good and will take down a 3-4" tree, did that why the salesman was watching.:D Well he said it would do it and I wanted to see if it would.

The new ones are better designed than the older ones, plus Bobcat has 0% for 24 months on attachements. Makes it like $250 per month. I have several projects to keep mowed and I can't hire out one for that.

BTW - take it with a grain of salt for what Bobcat ron said, look below his name.:rolleyes: So far I have not experienced the "plugging" while going through tall grass.

I've been running an '03 model since then. Had the original '99 or '00 model that didn't hold up well. Blade bolts were prone to shear off from what I heard and I had it happen 2x.They upgraded the bolts and we haven't had problems except with the mount and floating linkage. I replaced 1 spring the other day.

Gearbox is undersized, however, maintenance will keep it good and it's only about $300 to replace at least it that's all it was a couple of years ago.

Keep the sleeve screws that link the gearbox to hydro motor tight or they can vibrate out and your sleeve will spin and ruin the parts that keep it from spinning. I like the rear roller, hate the linkage but it is a workhorse with some maintenance.