• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 863 leaking hoses - one after the other

alex-ns

1997 863 Non BOSS 2090 hrs, cable hand controls. Started having many leaks about 8 hours ago. Looks like most hoses are original.
Began with hose from cooler to hydrostat, line was pretty stiff began leaking between fitting and hose.
Replaced and leak free for a few operating hours. Next one hose on lift cyl then about an hour in opposite hose on other lift cyl. Replaced the others while i was at it.
Next was one hose on tilt cyl basically at startup (only hose that looked bad). About one hour of moving gravel fairly gently and i noticed some trails :( This time it was a hose from the hydro to filter.
Made it about two hours spreading some asphalt, now one the rubber hoses going to tilt hard line is leaking in rear.
Every leak has been at hose/fitting crimp.

HYD Filters are maybe 30 hrs old. Fluid has been flushed plenty. Machine sounds normal, no unusual or lack of bogging etc.
Could it be pressure relief issue? I did not check case drains yet. At startup, lift does not operate until control is cycled 3 or 4 times. After that its normal. Maybe BICS Issue?

alex-ns

Thanks for the response!
I read that kubota hoses all go at the same time too. I keep finding weak links but was worried next leaks will be seals and spools etc.
How about partially clogged return etc? I imagine it should sound differently or give discernible operational cues if its a flow issue.

mikebramel

If the return filter is clogged, the filter bypass will open up. But.... return pressure is 50 maybe 100psi. Not enough to pop any of your 3000psi hoses.

alex-ns

Looks like more hoses to change. Didn't want to go crazy replacing them and then someone on here says you idiot check this first lol.

mikebramel

I would think the first ones to leak would be the drive hoses... running under the most pressure... But maybe the 4 wire hoses have a different expiration date lol

alex-ns

Yes i'm waiting for them to blow next. I will say that since hoses have been starting to leak, at low throttle my left wheel motor takes more control throw to get it moving.
Unfortunately I have not had time to check the cable adjustment. May have bent something laying inside etc. Also no extra oil going into chaincase yet.

DIYDAVE

Heat will kill hoses, have you checked that hyd cooler is performing?;)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hoses have a design life of around 5,000 to 6,000 hours and/or approximately six to seven years. Anything after that is gravy. Your machine is twenty seven years old and you still have hoses that are original?

Welder Dave

There's your problem, you have 30 year old filters and 27 year old hoses on a 22 year old machine.

alex-ns

Operating HYD Temp is good, cooler working. I'm just replacing all of the hoses. Need to find next weak point haha.
Yes it looks like 95% were original 1997.

alex-ns

Update:
Almost all hoses replaced. Found travel motor issue I believe. Disintegrated shuttle valve plug o-ring, cracked poppet on one side and sticky jagged poppet on other. Shuttle Valve piston itself seems ok. Wondering if stuck shuttle valve was creating high pressue flow through case drain circuit. Also missing center o-ring on travel motor housing. New parts next week!

alex-ns

New hoses and no leaks yet!
Travel motor is much better with the inner seals replaced. No more creep and definitely made it move faster.
The interesting part is how the shuttle valve poppet cracked in the first place. No more slamming forward since replacement.
Hopefully this helps someone else out in the future.