• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 863 Duetz factory remaned engine lost power and smoking

Don stanley

Up in Mammoth getting buried and can't get anyone up here to fix this due to weather and road closures. I've changed all filters and oil but it's still smoking black under load with a noticeable power loss. Running a SB240 blower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vetech63

Black smoke indicates unburned fuel. Is the engine puffing black smoke or rolling it out like a train? There is a possibility you have an injector problem.

56wrench

How’s your air filter? Maybe during snowblowing it is ingesting snow and icing off. Usually while snowblowing you may have to do something with the air intake to prevent it

Don stanley

I'm leaning towards a bad turbo. I'm at over 8,000 feet here and based on one of the replies that black smoke equates to unburnt fuel makes me wonder. The heavier smoke is when under load and the power is really wanting when blower is ingaged or climbing any kind of incline. All filters new and fresh oil change. Thanks!

Vetech63

Because you have unburned fuel out of the exhaust means your turbocharger will not work efficiently anyway. The fuel has to burn completely to create the heat expansion to spool that turbo and create boost pressure. Also, a bad turbo will usually create a bluish grey smoke due to the lubricating oil being burned in the combustion chambers or hot exhaust piping. I believe the only way this may be a turbo issue is if the impeller is damaged or is locked up completely.

Im still leaning on a injector problem.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Doesn't that engine have a timing belt. Is it a Deutz 1011 engine . Maybe the belt is bad or jumped one tooth. This would limit power and cause smoke as Vetech said. I have changed 2 belts on 1011 Series engines years ago and not too hard if you have the special pins too lock timing. Just wondering.
Simon C

stefuel

I would start by fully checking the air intake system before the turbo for obstructions. Can you see the turbo compressor wheel with the intake removed to see if it is even spinning while running? You could try it briefly with the intake removed. Does that turbo have a waste gate? If so and it's stuck open, you won't make boost pressure. I had a problem like yours once in heavy snow while plowing. Smoking like crazy and my pyrometer was freaking out. Pulled it into the garage and found the air filter housing packed with snow

stefuel

Very hard to play arm chair diesel doctor without additional information.

1. When was the last time it ran normally?
2. Was the machine sitting for a extended time prior to noticing the problem
3 Diesel engines move a lot of air even at idle. Does it seem to have normal exhaust flow out of the tail pipe?

In my almost 70 years, I've seen more weird stuff then I care to remember. Any obstruction in the flow of air from the inlet of the air filter to the tip of the exhaust pipe will inhibit the turbo's ability to spool up. Equipment that has been sitting a while can make a nice home for wasp nests, mouse nests and a convenient storage place for squirrels to store their winter food. I recently found about 5 lbs of acorns in a Corvette muffler that had been sitting for 6 months. So any additional information "could" help.

Don stanley

The 863 was running fine for a couple of weeks although being worked very hard with the near record snowfall. Can't get anyone from Bobcat up here due to road closures so am trying to get it fixed myself. Have a new turbo and injectors on the way. Hopefully this will help. Thanks everyone for your help as I'm really screwed until I can get this thing fixed.

stefuel

I would start with the turbo. Inspect everything you take off closely for obstructions/damage.
Without seeing it, I suspect you will stumble on the problem while taking it apart. When you get to where you can see the turbo compressor wheel, you should be able to spin it by hand. If not and it's seized, you found your problem. If it spins freely, I would spend more time inspecting other stuff before swapping it out. I'm pretty sure the 863 has a primary and secondary air filter. Double check both and all associated piping first.

Don stanley

Again, thanks stefuel. I've replaced all filters and should hopefully get the parts in the next few days. Fingers crossed as we just surpassed 600 inches of snow.

stefuel

Interested in what you find when you dig into it. Not a big fan of throwing money at something until it works. Even if there's multiple issues, I like to confirm a part bad before I swap it out. Also, when no other option is available, Swap one part at a time and test. Nothing worse then adding a new defective part to complicate things

ozarkag

If you're ordering parts add a set of timing pins. the camshaft is not keyed on those and can slip. Would be a twenty minute job to check and verify timing. Although the air/ turbo would be a top concern too.

Don stanley

Just got the replacement turbo and will put in tomorrow. Based on the soot stains on the bobcat including the side vents for the cooling fan, my hope is that it is a faulty turbo. Will update tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you. Wish me luck as we have feet more of snow coming next week. God I'm too old for this!

Don stanley

Turbo has oil all over the intake tube. Plus, they sent me the wrong turbo. Major soot in the exhaust outlet. Is this due to a bad turbo? I can't get a Bobcat tech up here so appreciate any help

stefuel

tube between the air filter and turbo, or tube between the turbo and intake manifold??? Start posting pictures. If there's oil in the tube before the turbo (suction side), is there a PCV valve or some other form of crank case ventilation connected to the inlet piping??? If the oil is in the tube between the turbo and engine (boosted side) I'm guessing the turbo oil seal has failed. Does the turbo spin freely with no side to side play??? If you post pictures, perhaps someone with the exact same engine can help.
Is the machine inside where it's warm or are you working on it outside in the cold???. If it's outside, I'm still worried that the air filter could be full of snow. Even with a new filter, under the right conditions, the intake could plug up with snow in a very short time