• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 843

thebig450es

When i went to look at it today, it sounds like it needs a new starter. The lap bar is broken( someone cut the middle out of it), The guages dont work. The guy showe me a reciept for a new hydro pump and new drive motors that were instlled by a bobcat dealer about 2 months ago for 3K. It has one new tire and the other 3 have about 50%. The engine seemed ok. It also has a new 66" CAT tooth bucket. Any ideas? what would you pay for this machine?

2109 Stang

Sound like trouble to me ,that's an old machine, should be really cheap or close to nothing ,make sure you run it enough till the Hyd oil is hot and run it hard before making a decision on this machine.

my .02 cents.

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
about $3000.00 might be close, then you can spend another $3000.00 on it and have a nice machine. Remember the unit is 27 years old, . You just can't put a price on a piece of equipment like this, there are to many unknowns. If it starts, end moves, and the loader lifts and dumps you have something to start with, and from there you take a chance, good luck

thebig450es

It starts, moves, all the hydros work..... the guy want $5k cash.......idk its risky .....what should i look for to make a better decision. Thanks for the input

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
Fill the bucket with dirt, lift it and let it sit give it 5 minutes if it stays put, good then put the bucket on the ground and lift the front of the machine. let it sit for 5 minutes if the machine stays up good. While it is up in the front check the front wheel slop. that will check out your chain slop. . now drop the machine on all 4 tires and let it rest. if it starts crawling on its own front or backwards it could be bad linkage on the adjustments for crawl. I say this because anyone selling it would make these minor adjustments before trying to sell it.. now push some dirt with it, then backdrag some dirt with it, If it pushes and pulls fine. after it has run for 15 to 20 minutes, open the back and make sure it isn't super hot. now move the machine over to a clean area of ground ,park it , leave it runnig and after 15 minutes move it away and check to see how much oil it left on the ground. As far as the starter goes shut it off several times and restart it several times. if the starter is bad it will be sure to crap out on the 3rd or 4th time. the new tire mixed in with 3 50% worn ones might cause a little howling from the chain case. I would still try to buy this machine for about $3000.00. that is if it passes all the run tests. I have purchaced and restored many,many skid steers in the past 20 years. What I pay for them ,I in most cases' put the same amount back into them and sold them for twice the investment amount. I always refered to them as doublers. . I have bought and re-sold skid steers with over 15,000 hrs on them.They seem to run forever if you maintain them and use them right.You can find some good used skid steers out ther right now for good money , but it takes hours and hours to go check them out. Don't be shy about making offers on used equipment , but make firm cash offers and you will end up buying them . Good luck with your 1st skid steer..

thebig450es

I went to look at it again, checked everything you said smokey......everything passed...hydraulics stayed up and lifted the machine just fine, not much slop in the chain ( a few inches). Started worked well , He said he would throw in tire chains for all 4 tires, the service manual and all the reciepts for the machine.

thebig450es

Some pics, also checked the aux hydro with a power broom, it worked very well.

Attachments

• 3m33of3l15O85P95S8a1i5bba3922a8651d0c.jpg
    3m33of3l15O85P95S8a1i5bba3922a8651d0c.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 10,779
  • 3m73o63pa5O05P75Rfa1i34a5248c24101ef4.jpg
    3m73o63pa5O05P75Rfa1i34a5248c24101ef4.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 11,558
  • 3nd3ke3p95O85T45P1a1ie123b5484fbe17c3.jpg
    3nd3ke3p95O85T45P1a1ie123b5484fbe17c3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 14,563

mrfixitpaul

Be sure to check the chaincase oil level at the plug just behind the bucket. It should be clean (no water) and you should be able to reach it with a finger. Also check for signs of leakage at the axles.