• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 331E Problem

Jay47620

Hi,

I have a Bobcat 331E I'm getting a code 12-22. It doesn't stay on all the time kinda comes and goes didn't know if anyone has had this issue before.

Thanks

Jay47620

Yes it has the ext.hoe and it was running the boom out on its own.. I unhooked the lines and pinned it up that's the only thing I noticed.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Interesting. Of all the Bobcat machines I've worked on I haven't had the pleasure of working on one that has the extend hoe feature so I don't know how that works on those machines, would have to do some research on how that works. However, the code 12-22 is "auxiliary PWM switch out of range low". The auxiliary PWM switch is the thumb switch on the right joystick that controls the auxiliary hydraulic functions. Out of range low would most likely be the main controller (ECU) is seeing a low output from that proportional switch. Does that switch control the extend hoe function on that machine?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok. Your problem is most likely a faulty PWM switch in the right joystick. I don't think that switch is serviced separately, have to purchase the handle assembly for the right joystick control. I don't know of a way to test that switch to verify it's faulty or verify that something else isn't causing the problem. I do know the main controller sends an 8V power signal to that switch, but on that same circuit it sends power to the left console safety switch, I would think that if there's a problem with voltage signal from the main controller it would affect the left console safety system as well. Of course there could always be a poor connection going to the right PWM switch causing the problem, or a problem with the signal sent from PWM switch back to main controller, a number of things can go wrong with that circuit, but I've seen the switch go bad on a number of Bobcat machines.

If this problem isn't a big deal to you in operating the machine, not a big enough problem to replace right joystick handle, you could always either swap the hose connections at the auxiliary couplers, then the extend arm would be retracting instead of extending while you're operating the machine. Or, if you don't really use the extend boom that often, you could simply disconnect the harness connections to the auxiliary solenoids at the solenoid manifold.

melli

Thank you for the help I'll see want I can find out with it!!

Probably not the issue, but I have a thumb which likely uses the same circuitry as your extendable arm. I had a situation where the thumb would jam open...that is, it would automatically open up and stay there (hydraulic flow on). I would toggle paddle switch to close, then once I released paddle switch, it would fly back open. Really odd situation. I discovered there is a 'hidden' switch on other side of joystick from paddle switch that is barely visible, especially after years of use. It is like the horn switch. Anyways, I pressed the switch and I had functionality back. I believe the switch is for aux hydraulics when using a jack hammer attachment etc, where one wants the aux flow on all the time.