• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Blade Tip Angle Plowing snow…

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Any plowing I have done with the grader have been on asphalt. Some of the guys that haul wood in the winter say that a good grader man can keep the road gravel all winter. Probably a lot to do with blade angle. They are really hauling a lot of wood now as the spring road restrictions are going to hit earlier than ever before. https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/dti/trucking/content/spring_weight_restrictions.html
I started running a grader in 1987. I'm always on gravel. Only time I've ever "floated" the blade is when running paved state roads to get to my next gravel. On gravel I'm always carrying the blade. Trying to minimize gravel loss. When Spring comes you can easily see the places you got it a little too low...... I've got a neighboring operator that pushes all his loose gravel into the ditches. I'm embarrassed if I see any gravel in the ditch or on the bank.

JaredV

We don't get a lot of snow around here and when we do, it doesn't hang around long. I know of timber company operators that will plow even just a little bit of snow by cutting hard and plowing a berm of rock onto the shoulder or ditch as the temperature is already warming up. Then they go pull it back later, or not if it's in the ditch. That way later on they can haul more rock and clean ditches for job security, I guess.