• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Blackberry removal

coopers

So how long do you guys think it would take to remove 6 foot high thick blackberry canes with a 120 excavator? Two to three acres too I should mention. About actually. I had a guy come in wanting to rent something to do that job and I said mow them, he said the terrain was not suitable for a tractor (trying to fight the terrain and mow at the same time) so I mentioned a dozer with a rake but a regular that comes in to rent (works for a local excavation business) said an excavator would be faster? I would think a dozer with a rake but he said excavator. So how long would it take. Day or two?

Blake
WA

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
I'm assuming you're talking either the evergreen or himalayan blackberry that's so common around our part of the state. On rough ground, I also find the excavator is faster. I could probably do 3 or 4 acres in a day with a 4 or 5 foot brush rake, but it really depends on how clean the ground needs to picked.

coopers

Huh, okay, thanks for the info. Does having a standard diggin bkt. make it slower or does it matter (with a thumb of coarse, we don't have rakes for our trackhoes)? I know that removing b. berries with a backhoe was a pain in the but, I hated it.

Blake
WA

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Any bucket will work, but a wider bucket just rakes more ground faster. You could do it with a 12", but it would take a lot longer than a 42" bucket. And yes, the thumb is very important for making the work go quickly.