• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Binders on the passenger side only?

Classic79KW

Occupation
Gear Grinder
I always have 2 chains/binders pulling forward, 2 pulling backwards and one over a front bucket/backhoe/etc. I have been asked a few times about my chaining, but only harrassed once. Attitude has some to do with whether you get a ticket, so does the knowledge a cop has or the lack there of. I use ratchet binders and set them close to the edge of the trailer so that once they are tight I hold the binder & lock the handle down onto the deck so I dont have loose chains going down the road. Snap binders still have their place but I'll never haul again without ratchet binders. I was taught, when in doubt, overchain.

Truckie

I’m a little late here but I was pulled in to a DOT check about 3 months ago and I was hauling a load of scrap burn out plate. I had 4 bundles on the flat bed, and had 2 chains and 2 binders on each, and they were on the driver side. The DOT cop never questioned me about them on the driver said. All he asked me to do was double check the one chain on the rear stack and see if I could make it any tighter.

Whenever I chain and bind loads I put them where they are best suited for me and to do the best job they can. If they all are on the driver side then so be it, all on the passenger side then so be it.
When I haul scrap I have them all over the place. Left side, right side, and sometimes in the middle.
When I haul equipment it is at least one for each corner.

monster truck

Nick, with smaller dozers and such I do it the same way, 4 binders and 2 chains with slack in the middle and DOT said that it was just fine. With 120, 160 and 200 size excavators on our beavertail trailers I just put my 1/2 inch binders from the track to the deck of the trailer with no chains and then put one chain and binder over the bucket and that was OK'ed by the man with blue gloves as well.