1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Big Move

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Steve Frazier, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

It's not everyday you see this rolling through town! Cat 777D. I've only seen them in quarries, never on a trailer. IMG_20201006_141108345~2.jpg

2. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

He going to a quarry, or a big construction job?

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

TBH it would have probably been easier and less disruptive for the rest of the traffic to leave the wheels on and just drive it - IMHO anyway.

4. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

I've been trying to think why it might be being moved since I saw it, there's a Trap Rock Industries (Poughkeepsie plant) quarry about 5 miles north, the direction he's heading. Trap Rock also has a quarry in Rockland County, south and across the river from here. I'm speculating they might be transferring it from there to here. I can't really come up with anything else. We have a Cat dealer in Poughkeepsie but I can't imagine they'd be hauling it in for repairs. I don't believe they do the factory refurbishing there either.

5. Raildudes dad

Raildudes dad Senior Member

I review and approve moves like this for our county road department. I took the spec weight and divided it in half for the bed being removed. I did the math and it should be about 500 lbs / inch of tire with. That is permitable in MI according to the MI DOT. If it to move on it's own in our county I would check the bridges on the route concerned about t he concentrated weight. Otherwise I would permit it.