• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big load and haul operation :)

Jeff D.

To do my own off topic post, around here the average dump truck driver is just about one step removed from the Neanderthals. If they can't drive OTR and are too lazy to do real work they will hire on with one of low wage dump fleets and prove, once again that humans are losing the race.
Alan, you remind me of the kind of guy who sneaks up and cops a feel of a woman's behind, and when she turns around hot as hell you point at the other guy behind her who didn't see any of it happen, thus starting a brawl.(which you sit back and watch, giggling the whole time):cool2

I'm pretty close, aren't I?:D

wrenchbender

All I can say bout that is I hear that stupid music as the Benny Hill show is going off when I look at the pic.:stirthepot :stirthepot :wierdt

Jeff D.

wrenchbender said:
All I can say bout that is I hear that stupid music as the Benny Hill show is going off when I look at the pic.
I remember that music too...................and usually someone was being chased all around with the film just slightly speeded up.;)

wrenchbender said:
:stirthepot :stirthepot :wierdt
Yeah, I wanted to turn it back around to Alan, since he was ->:stirthepot but figured I'd be commiting suicide if I tried slamming "operators" on this forum. What else can a guy do?:beatsme :D

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
but figured I'd be commiting suicide if I tried slamming "operators" on this forum. What else can a guy do?:beatsme :D

We could always rough up the mechanics a little......:D

Deas Plant

About Nasty, Fighting and Fighting Dirty

Hi, Countryboy.
I suggest that you go back and RE-READ Wrenchbender's post on this suggestion where he said that mechanics get nasty AND FIGHT DIRTY.

Have you ever received a dozer fresh out the workshop after a track restoration and found that it handled like a real dog - - - - 'cos the idlers were put in the high position instead of the low - dozing - position? Fitters/mechanics/'wrenchbenders' have been known to do things like that deliberately, although not so far - touch wood - to me.

Maybe it's time that your 'survival instinct' kicked in too.

Just a thought.

Alan

Charter Member
Somehow I think I have been shot at and missed, chit at and hit.

Deas Plant

On being shot at and missed.

Hi, Alan.
Shame on you for your belittling remarks, insinuating that anybody here would take a shot at you - or anybody for that matter - let alone that they would miss. LOL.

wrenchbender

So many ways to FIGHT

I hear they get nasty but can't fight....:beatsme :D

:guns :guns Some fight with words some with fist & feet and some with thier heads. Our mate from down under Mister Deas Plant must have witnessed some of the ones that fight with thier heads. I've never had to use a machine to get my point across yet :rolleyes: although I once saw an operator bonce around on an old dozer like he was on a bucking bronc. He did this for two whole days before getting the nerve/good sence to ask nicely if maybe I could check his dozer. He seamed to think it was always climbing over something:beatsme Any way it cured it's self I guess it was an act of God.

Jeff D.

Hi, Alan.
Shame on you for your belittling remarks, insinuating that anybody here would take a shot at you - or anybody for that matter - let alone that they would miss. LOL.
Actually Deas he's correct.:eek:

I did kinda take a shot there with my comparison between Benny Hill and Alan, and I meant it in good fun, not really thinking it would be taken seriously.

Well, I arrived home tonight and found a strongly worded E-mail in my inbox, from some of his family members, and they were quite upset with the comparison, and understandibly so.:(

So, I'll take this time to publicly apoligize, and say that I was wrong in doing that comparison. I just hope Benny Hills family will find it in their hearts too forgive me.

:waving

Deas Plant

Comparisons.

Hi, JeffD.
Well, I think I'd be a little insulted too if somebody likened me to Benny Hill. He may have gotten rich from his sleazy style of humour but that didn't make it any less sleazy. But that's just my 0.02.

Jeff D.

Hi, JeffD.
Well, I think I'd be a little insulted too if somebody likened me to Benny Hill. He may have gotten rich from his sleazy style of humour but that didn't make it any less sleazy. But that's just my 0.02.
:( I'm glad I didn't make that comparison between you two then.

I disagree about you feelings on his(Hill's) humor, but respect your thoughts, and it does cause me to step back and think.

I will say though, in a thread which almost from the start has been a "Driver Bashing" free-for-all, with comparisons too Neanderthals, hooker murders, and much else, I'm not going to feel I need to be too sensitive to anyones feelings when they join in for another "whack at em' ".

If I have to put on my "thick skin" to join in on a thread, I expect the other poster's might know they'll need their's also if they're going to "go down that road".

Take care Deas, and I do appreciate your thoughts!:)

respectfully,
Jeff

Deas Plant

On being insulted

Hi, JeffD.
I'm pretty darned hard to insult these days. I've been insulted by experts in the past. Most people are just wasting their time and mine these days.

We have a few so-called comedians DownUnder whom I'd rate somewhere right DOWN there with BH - and I don't listen to them either.

I try - although not to point of diluting the truth - to not put holes in anybody's skin, however thick or thin. However, if the truth upsets somebody, I'm not likely to make much of an apology for it.

Jeff D.

Deas, I've combined your quotes here from this and other threads, so as to not ruin those other threads with a new offtopic discussion, and so we could still discuss what we'de left off with here a few days ago.
Deas Plant 5/26/07 said:
What I would like to say is that I agree wholeheartedly with those who come here in a spirit of kindredship, either to share knowledge or to gather it, or both. Recriminations, bitterness, judgementalism, etc., will achieve nothing except to create more bad feeling.

One of the principles by which I have lived my life for a long time now is KISS - Keep It Simple, Simon - and Yes, I do know that it was originally, 'Keep It Simple, Stupid', but, since I am not into denigration or belittlement, I'll stick with 'Simon'.

Peace on Earth. Goodwill to all men............
This sounds very much like I'd like to be. I'm not there yet, but it surely is an admirable goal for any of us.
Deas Plant 6/8/07 said:
...........on the current site last Tuesday midday 'cos the idiot truck drivers bringing the fill...........
Deas Plant 6/8/07 said:
Somebody care to tell me again how much brainpower it takes to be a truckie? :Banghead :pointhead :ban :beatsme
Deas Plant 5/6/07 said:
there is an increasing number of what would in days gone by have passed for truckies (based on mental ability) now finding their ways into the seats of machines. It's a worriesome thought.
Deas Plant 5/6/07 said:
Put 'em in a truck with a dump box on the back and they revert to the mental level of a three-toed sloth and about the same (lack of) pace too.
These don't seem to fit in with your first quote. I was just wondering why? There is alot of "truckie's" on this site, in addition to myself. These types of statements I pick up right away. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in that, although I may be the only one who'll point them out. They are offensive, and they're not helpful to the forum. The don't further any discussion in a "peaceful manner". Rather they do the opposite.

I can't sit here and say I've not said anything offensive to others in this forum. I'd be lying. I've worried I have many times. If I think I've made a mistake or offended someone by using poor judgement I've apoligized for it. A couple I may have offended but will never apoligize too.

If someone gives me advice I listen to it and try to learn if I think it's helpful, as I mentioned to you two post's ago I do to what you said. I have thought about what you said in your last post. I honestly can't figure out what you were getting at, other than you might've "thought" I was trying to offend you?:beatsme

But what should I learn from the second thru the fifth quotes?
Deas Plant 6/8/07 said:
The wording and the judgements of whatever they may say or think can give a pretty good insight into what sort of person they are, whether they are charitable, judgemental, hyper-critical, hypocritical, generous, or whatever.
I think this is very true, and matter of fact I sent you a PM saying this when you originally posted it. I thought it was a bit of wisdom I'd keep. Should I also keep your thoughts that "truckies" don't have much intelligence? That's obviously an angry statement, judgemental, and just plain not true, no matter what experiences you've had. A rational person wouldn't group a whole profession of people together and brand them this way, especially someone who's "above all that stuff".
Deas Plant 5/26/07 said:
I sincerely hope that such behaviour will not become the norm here.
I've mentioned to you before I thought you had alot of wisom to share, and I was polite to you when you gave me your thoughts two posts ago.

Why should I continue to be respectful or polite to you? Do you think I should feel you've earned my respect? The second and third quotes above were just posted tonight!

As for my "Benny Hill" comments directed at Alan, those were done because I felt he was stirring the pot up. I wanted to point that out while trying to keep it humorous. If he was only kidding, so was I. If he meant what he'd said, so did I. I knew it had the possiblity to be taken offensively. I knew it had the possiblity of only being a joke. I can take joking around, as was done for most of this thread. I can put on my thick skin too if I have too. I can't take a lecture from someone who's speaks about doing things in a nice way, and then basically says the people in my profession are idiots.

I have learned alot from your post. Alot of valuable information, and you certainly have alot of experience to share. Why add prejudice to that? That is what it is, without question!! I'd think you of all people would realize that.

I'm also perfectly willing to treat others as they treat me. Respectfully, jokingly, or disrespectfully. It's not quite as good as "Do unto others as you'de have done to you." but it's as close as I can get at this point.

And FWIW, don't make the mistake and think I'm an idiot, or that I'll go away that quickly. I'm perfectly happy to do this "nicely" and in an intelligent way, but I'll push this issue until it's resolved or until I get banned.

Jeff D.

Deas Plant

Clarification.

Hi, JeffD.
You are right. Some clarification would be in order here.

Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas Plant 6/8/07
...........on the current site last Tuesday midday 'cos the idiot truck drivers bringing the fill...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas Plant 6/8/07
Somebody care to tell me again how much brainpower it takes to be a truckie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas Plant 5/6/07
there is an increasing number of what would in days gone by have passed for truckies (based on mental ability) now finding their ways into the seats of machines. It's a worriesome thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas Plant 5/6/07
Put 'em in a truck with a dump box on the back and they revert to the mental level of a three-toed sloth and about the same (lack of) pace too.

Unquote.

Firstly Jeff, my remarks are not intended to only apply to road truck drivers. They also include haul unit operators on site, operators of rear dumps, ADT's, scrapers, belly dumps, etc..

Now, what would be your assessment of a collective group of 22 truck drivers, mostly owner-drivers, who cost themselves and a group of other people half a day's paid work simply because they could/would NOT follow instructions and come in the RIGHT gate? Personally, I would not rate them right up there with Einstein and Steven Hawking.

Now I know I wrote about non-judgement, etc., but another thing that I stand by is my tendency to call a spade a spade (or sometimes a strange kind of shovel with reproductive powers). I have a way with words - or so I've been told - and in this case, I choose to be blunt. These men, although probably not idiots, certainly managed to behave in a very idiotic manner.

Stupidity is usually its own reward. The trouble is that, very often, one person's stupidity can affect many other people who are simply innocent bystanders.

Please don't think that I regard ALL truck drivers as idiots but I would ask you to consider for yourself just how much brainpower it does take to drive a truck. Note that I have not asked about driving a truck well, or staying out of trouble, or doing the job well, only about how much brainpower it takes to actually drive a truck. Why I ask you to do this is that it would appear that this group of people had enough brainpower to drive a truck but not enough to follow the instructions that they had been given, not once, but FOUR times. I don't for a moment believe that it takes more brainpower to turn through the gate you have been told to turn through than it does to perform the complex set of actions involved in getting a loaded truck from A to B through heavy traffic. So where did it all go pear-shaped in this case? I contend that this group of truckies chose to not use their brainpower for this particular part of their journey, a choice that cost THEM AND OTHERS money.

Now I'll ask you what you would say that makes them?

And I will also re-iterate a statement that I have made previously on this forum:
"Of all the different clasifications of workers around construction, it seems to me that truck drivers are the least capable of doing their jobs without getting into trouble."

I have seen a lot of truckies do a lot of great work away from construction sites. I have seen them get sick rigs long distances back to care and repair. I have seen them get into and out of places that were, to say the least, a challenge, to bring much needed supplies to remote outposts. I have seen them pull over and help stranded colleagues and ordinary motorists at the expense of their own timetables or load tallies. I have seen them take time out from their work to raise money for handicapped children. I have seen them form a convoy to take terminally ill children for rides in their trucks. I have seen them donate the use of their trucks to haul hay and grass clippings hundreds of miles to help drought-ravaged farmers. And the list goes on. So, I'll happily acknowledge that there is a LOT of good in the transport industry. Which brings me back to the last quotation above:

"Put 'em in a truck with a dump box on the back and they revert to the mental level of a three-toed sloth and about the same (lack of) pace too."

WHY?????? And I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Suppose you had told the driver of the only side-dump semi-tipper hauling to your job that you wanted him to dump along the toe of an existing batter, working his way, load by load, from the near end of the batter to the far end. And suppose he dumped his very next load 40 yards behind the face where you were dumping the other trucks and 60 yards from where you had told him you wanted him to dump, leaving you to push it that extra distance to get it to where you could use it. What would YOU think of that driver?

On another job where I work from time to time, we have 6 Volvo 6x6 ADT's hauling material around the site. There is only ONE grader on site and sometimes the haul roads get a little ordinary. Do the ADT drivers slow down? No way, Jose. They just complain about being bounced around. Well, who's in charge of how much they get bounced around in that situation?????????? Sometimes, lack of pace is not the problem. Sometimes, it's just plain common sense, whether it be missing or just not used

I have seen 4 dump trucks, 3 semi-tippers, one rigid tipper, 2 ADT's and 2 scrapers rolled on site during my working life, a total of 12 units. I have seen ONE dozer and ONE front end loader rolled. I have seen way more collisions between dump trucks/on-site haul units or road-going tipper trucks and other units/vehicles than I have between dozers, graders, excavators, rollers or loaders and other units/vehicles. I also think I've probably seen more pegs taken out by trucks and other haul units than I have by all other types of machine combined. And yes, I do know that a semi-tipper is not the easiest gadget in the world for the driver to see what is all around it, especially when turning. Have you ever tried working around pegs with a Cat D11 with a U-blade and a single point ripper on it?

I will also freely admit that some truckies are more responsible for more of the 'dramas' than others. The same applies to most other trades and professions, including operators. However, the responsible percentage seems to be a bit higher among the transport fraternity than amongst some other classifications of workers. Truck drivers who seem to never have a problem out on the open road still seem to clean up pegs, get bogged, or dump in places other than where they have been told on site.

Jeff, there are exceptions to every rule. If you want to include yourself in the level of trucking talent that I am talking about above, feel free, BUT from what I have seen of your writings on this site and in your PM, you are a cut or two above that. I also suspect that there might be one or two other truckies here who don't qualify for incluson in that group. Yes, I know that I have made some generalisations in what I have posted and that generalisations sometimes upset some people who might feel they are included in them. May I suggest that you stop and think about what sort of driver, worker and person you are. If you don't feel that you fit these generalisations, may I suggest that you don't include yourself in them.

I will also freely admit that there are some slightly less than brilliant people among the operating fraternity. No industry is exempt from having some percentage of less competent people in it. And I have had some slightly caustic comments to pass on some of them in the past. I will continue to be honest and up-front about my observations of things I see around me. May I suggest that you take a look at what I, and others, post and ask yourself if it also applies to you. If you feel that it does not, simply ignore it.

If I have ruffled your feathers with any of my comments, I apologise for that. However, the comments still stand with regard to the percentage of drivers whom they DO fit. If you feel the generalisations are a little broad, I also apologise for that but, from where I stand, they do seem to apply to a lot of truck drivers/haul unit operators, by no means all, but still a lot.

I hope that this puts this matter to rest. I would not like to see either of us banned from this site.

Jeff D.

Deas Plant said:
I hope that this puts this matter to rest.
We're still quite a ways apart on our thinking on the subject, but I'm also willing to let it rest.
Deas Plant said:
I would not like to see either of us banned from this site.
I agree 100%

Jeff