• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big cylinder bench

Welder Dave

The hydraulic shop I generally go to apparently has the largest cylinder bench in N. America to deal with the largest cylinders used on the biggest excavators in the oil sands. I wasn't sure just how big it is but just read it is capable of 125,000 ft./lbs. That would have to be one huge cylinder! I wonder what size of nut takes 125,000 ft./lbs.?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
It wouldn’t be hard to generate that kind of torque with a bench that uses a hydraulic ram to break the nut loose. An 8 inch diameter ram running at 2500 psi with a one foot torque arm would get it done.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’ve always wondered what happened to these cylinder benches from the Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Company Auction in 2017 at Kahului Maui. Global Partners ran the auction. I was on the Island working on a fuel project, but didn’t get to attend. B8C43295-ACB3-4FA5-B3DF-27A229C8D405.jpeg

Welder Dave

If you scroll way down on Sterling Hydraulics Facebook page it shows a pic. of their biggest cylinder bench. It seems they may have had the cylinder benches custom designed. From the post on Facebook:

No cylinder is too big; with 3 fully engineered and CSA compliant hydraulic cylinder servicers our "state of the art" facility allows us to repair, service or overhaul small, medium and the largest cylinders that can be found in the mining business... We have the LARGEST CYLINDER SERVICING BENCH/CAPABILITIES in North America, which is also supported with a fully equipped machine shop. The cylinder shop is also serviced by a bridge crane with 20 ton lifting capacity.

Here's a pics. of 1 of their benches but it's not the biggest one. The biggest 1 is white in colour and longer. Just by the pic. of the 1 below it is considerably bigger than the other ones shown in this thread.

Last edited:

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
In the oilfield, service shops use a similar apparatus to assemble/dissemble tools for downhole work. Some of the larger diameter tools do indeed require torque values in that range. On the rig itself, using chains, tongs and cylinders, winches, etc, tool joints are made and broken regularly. The service apparatus are referred to as "breakout units". It's certainly conceivable that something similar could be built for hydraulic cylinder use, but I would agree that it's hard to believe there is a standard cylinder that would require it. That's a different ballgame compared to oil tools.

Welder Dave

They may never need that much torque but it's nice to have it available. They got into doing cylinders specifically to work on the largest hydraulic shovels in the world at the Alberta oilsands. They recruited the best cylinder guy in the business to run the cylinder division. They have great customer service whether you're a big outfit or just need an occasional hose made up. They gave me a repair sleeve for a flare fitting that had a slight leak. I think they normally cost $5 or $6 each. Always very reasonable for hoses too. It's a bonus their shop is 10 minutes from where I live.

JD955SC

Well that’s impressive. I bet dealing with the seals and getting the head of the cylinder back on the rod after service is a real, well I can’t say it here, of a job lol