• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big Bud tractors

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
This was owned by a local field drainage company. Other Mi. members will probably recall it. To my knowledge it was repalced about 2 years ago with a track machine.

It might not look that big all by itself.....if you ever saw it parked next to another tractor you would think otherwise.

IIRC, it was powered by a KTA Cummins.

Ed

Attachments

• bigbud1.JPG
    bigbud1.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 25,922
  • bigbud2.JPG
    bigbud2.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 45,742
  • bigbud3.JPG
    bigbud3.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 24,199

BIGBUDLUVR

Nice pics there, Bumpsteer :)

Great Machines. I was lucky to see the two largest models (740) besides the 747, a 650/50, 525/50, 400/30, and an old KT-450, this summer.

Not exactly up-to-date in the cab, but they work.

KrayzKajun

Occupation
Own a Landscape & Irrigation Company
talk about make short work of digging trenches for an irrigation system.

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
talk about make short work of digging trenches for an irrigation system.

I have seen plenty of Big Bud pictures, but nothing like this. Interesting to see a trencher on the back - I wonder what the creators of Big Bud would think if they seen this. Big Buds were definitely purpose built machine meant for HUGE wheat fields. As someone above stated, pretty dated tractors, but I'm sure can work all day long for you.

450 Bron

A local drainage contractor in our area has this exact setup. Very capable machine in the dry conditions show in this picture.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . redneckchevy9

As someone above stated, pretty dated tractors, but I'm sure can work all day long for you.

What exactly do you mean by dated?

We are shopping for a small 4x4 and I have see this "dated" word a couple of times when reading reviews of a particular model that has been in production for ten years or and essentially unchanged . . . in fact "tired and dated" was the catch cry which to me translates as "proven and reliable".

Cheers.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Big Bud tractors:

Big Bud tractors started their lives in Havre, Montana... couple hundred miles from where I live.

The company that made Big Bud's, Northern Manufacturing Company, actually made several models,

different horse powers, transmissions, and such... my good neighbor has two Big Buds, bought used, of

course...

They were/are rather unique tractors, here's the rest of the stories... :cool2

http://www.williamsbigbud.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=68

http://www.vincelewis.net/bigbud.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bud_747

OCR... :)

Lol... forgot to add a little story I read.

When they first started making Bud's, the fenders were basically just half circles, made from flat stock,

and it's hard to form a nice shape, without the proper metal working tools... we all know that... :D

They did have, however, out back or somewhere... a big tree. Lol, that's how they formed the first

fenders...:notworthy

Hmm...?? I think I might have bent a fender or two, around a tree myself... :lmao

Last edited:

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
Yair . . . redneckchevy9

What exactly do you mean by dated?

We are shopping for a small 4x4 and I have see this "dated" word a couple of times when reading reviews of a particular model that has been in production for ten years or and essentially unchanged . . . in fact "tired and dated" was the catch cry which to me translates as "proven and reliable".

Cheers.

When I said "dated" basically what I mean is that some of the technology may not be up to date & missing some of the things that new 4X4's have. Mainly, I have heard that the cabs on some of the Big Buds were noisy & cumbersome to work some of the controls.

Don't get me wrong, something being dated ain't a bad thing, my '50 IH C has been called dated to, but it works just fine for me.

cw4Bray

It would be thrilling to ride in, but - to disc a quarter section the average person would need to take out a bank loan just to put fuel in it.