• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bidding on land clearing

amishmafia00

How do we find land clearing jobs to bid? there are several windfarms going up in state. we are wanting to possibly bid, or atleast know what jobs are happening.

any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Ethan Good

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Are the wind farms county or state funded?,or are they private jobs with farmers or corporations? You need to find out who you are or would be dealing with first and then go see them in person and follow up with a letter or some sort of thank you for their time. Every time you get a chance to speak with someone remember you are interviewing for a job and treat it accordingly. Good Luck!

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Dont matter who ownes them IMO. a job is a job and wont change the price for me

it's hard to put a number on Clearing there are tons of variables but when its all said and done it always falls between $400 and $800 per acre

Pj

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Dont matter who ownes them IMO. a job is a job and wont change the price for me

it's hard to put a number on Clearing there are tons of variables but when its all said and done it always falls between $400 and $800 per acre

Pj

I agree a job is a job, no matter who your working for it shouldn't change how the job is bid or priced. my thoughts here were that the first step was to go and find out who the person/entity is that has or may have the job up for bids. Then, contact them in order to establish the fact that the owner of the clearing company would like to work for them. Nothing more......nothin else implied. I in no way advocated shafting gov entities just because it may be a gov entity or large corporations for the same reasons.......pls don't take me the wrong way.
I'm proud to be running a straight up and honest business here.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
hahaha, i had my head in my ass, I read the origional post and then got doing something else and by the time I made my post I had in my head the OP asked about how to charge lol.

sorry bout that Monte, nothing implied I just was watching TV and posting....guess it's better than Drinking and Posting lol

Edit: back on the OP, my approach would be to start with what ever variable you know.....if you know who makes the windmills call em and find out the contractor that normally installs and if no response find who ownes a few of them and solicit some business.....I have several different letters typed up for whatever type of work we're looking for....I.E. if I drive by some old ratty house I write down the adress and go to the county asessors office and find the owner and then send them a "Demo letter" or if I see a land transaction in the newspaper we'll send them a "Land Clearing" letter or a "farm work (terraces, waterway's etc)" letter. it just takes a minute to print a pre-typed letter and a $.42 stamp and has worked wonders for us :) hope it helps?

Pj

Last edited:

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
It's ok PJ. I too sometimes Have to go back and make sure that some things are not misunderstood, after all it is a public forum.
In regards to getting business, I have to say I've been working with a lot of really nice people out there so far and I've been fortunate. What seems to work for me is the face to face contact with prospective clients...especially in starting a new business. I've found this to work far more effectively than any advertising. Not to say that advertising is bad, it gets the word out there and says I'm here sort of thing. but the face to face communication is whats been doing it for me. I guess I feel that when talking face to face it is the best time to say I will do this for you or that for you and work your best deal. I may not be very high in the social status of the local excavators in my area, but I'm gaining business based on a willingness to handle the tough work first and get dirty.
Cheers to ya though PJ, hope things are going well with you. sorry for the confusion I caused:D

Silveroddo

Good luck, the last company I worked for was bidding alot of wind projects and they were extremely cut throat.......

Stevenbrla

How do we find land clearing jobs to bid? there are several windfarms going up in state. we are wanting to possibly bid, or atleast know what jobs are happening.

any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Ethan Good

Finding and chasing projects can be tedius, but obviously getting one every once in a while makes it worthwhile.

I used to work for a company who subscribed to PEC reports. I'm sure you pay for this subscription for a given state or zip code region. The reports are pretty comprehensive... providing brief description, $size, stage of project, many contact names and phone numbers.

They were very good at catching project in the "way early stage", which of course is where you want to catch them.... since in your biz, by the time you see them, it's too late. I mean early, like feasibility, raising capital, planning, engineering stage, etc. Then they keep updating the report... which is annoying once you didn't get the job... but at least you know what's going on.

Whether or not they will include the exact projects you're looking for, I have no idea, but would be surprised if they didn't. I'm also positive that they will provide you with projects that you never knew existed... unless you're already researching very hard.

I googled PEC reports, and came up with industrialinfo.com.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

amishmafia00

We are in the mulch business. currently we are hauling material off of several large clearing jobs. we are always looking to expand our capabilities, we are looking into the possibility of starting to do land clearing. at the very least if we know where the jobs are we can try to get the material.

Randy88

If its state or government jobs then you can get your name on a list with those agencies and they will contact you when a bid goes out, private work you need to either soliticite or else they will contact you if you have the reputation of doing that kind of work and have done that work in the past. I guess maybe go after the smaller jobs and work your way up, not many want to mess with the small jobs and invest in the equipment to get started and work your way into it. I don't know if you want to go after large bid jobs at first, theres not a lot of money in it and you need profit to pay for equipment, go instead after the small jobs that you can charge a descent price and turn some profit to pay for equipment and then worry about larger ones, if your not up to speed on costs of starting a new enterprise and know what to expect for surprise expensees they your not really going to be competative or have the cushion to back up on if things go wrong, remember anybody can stay busy it takes good business to make a job pay and make money, theres a big difference. If you buy used you can always sell it if it doesn't pan out and ends up being a dead horse so to speak and go in a different direction to attempt to expand.

When it comes to Houston Land Clearing the bids can be rather aggressive, although you asked this way back in 2009 the rates have only gotten more competitive since then, however if you take the time and do your research it's not hard to come across the right quality group to get the bids out to and land a proper job. It takes time and effort but i'm sure by this point you have solved your dilemna!

Red Roan

If you are in PA, go onto the Pennsylvania Game Commission website under procurement.

Lots of clearing jobs on there. I would suggest reviewing past bid results to see where your numbers need to be to be competitive.