• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bidding a Residential demo project, Reality check please?

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
Around here 20 yard dumpsters range $350-$400 with a 5 ton limit and 40 yards go for $450-$500 with a 7 ton limit with a $55 per ton overweight charge.
Recently we had a low bidder underbid 2 houses at 1600 sq. ft. each for $4000.00 ea. 1 house contained asbestos siding and the other looked like Hoarders abandoned it. 3 other bidders bid it at the $6000 to $7000 range. Needless to say this was a city job and they awarded the $4000 bid. The low bidder got busted for illegal dumping on a farm near a creek. Now he wants to go back to the city and charge the taxpayers more $$$. He also put the city in the spotlight because they are the owners and generators of the waste.
Just a little "FYI" for those trying backdoor legitimate companies that follow the rules. This person's fines will be about $4000, not including the land owner's, or the city's fines, fees, etc.
Do you don't think the taxpayers should get hit with additional costs because some Fly-by-Night Bum comes in at a low bid tries to cheat the system, then gets busted?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Do you don't think the taxpayers should get hit with additional costs because some Fly-by-Night Bum comes in at a low bid tries to cheat the system, then gets busted?

Yes I do. If this would happen more often it might have an effect on how municipalities vet their contracts and contractors, instead of just taking low bid. However most state laws are rigid on bidding procedures and dictate the lowest bid wins. The low bid system with minimum contract requirements will result in this scenario from time to time. Then there is nepotism and the "good ol' boy" system that goes along with small municipalities that is a whole different topic.

This is the reason why I don't pursue the municipal market.

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
Yes I do. If this would happen more often it might have an effect on how municipalities vet their contracts and contractors, instead of just taking low bid. However most state laws are rigid on bidding procedures and dictate the lowest bid wins. The low bid system with minimum contract requirements will result in this scenario from time to time. Then there is nepotism and the "good ol' boy" system that goes along with small municipalities that is a whole different topic.

This is the reason why I don't pursue the municipal market.
This is the Good Ole Boy - Nepotism System around here. This clown had to subcontract the work out to boot.

TrentNz

Sorry late reply. We dont really have basements in NZ. I usually crunch it up with the bucket, it does work, find its best to pile up and crunch it, mix pile and repeat. If its a woodem floor ill slightly crunch it then put it in bin and crunch it then.