• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to trailer a mini x, facing forward or backward?

HALSJCB

Occupation
Retired
I see mini x's trailered facing forward and rearward and always wondered if one method was preferred or if it made no difference at all. Assuming of course that trailer length was sufficient to get the proper tongue weight. What do you guys do and why?

suladas

I always use to go front forward on my gooseneck, just cause no real reason. But with bumper pull now I went backwards to protect front window and leaves room for stuff on front of trailer. This summer on a gravel road I had the rear window shattered out, not ideal but better then the front one(s). Other then tongue weight and windows breaking, it makes no difference.

skyking1

I spin it around now because of the glass. That is it. It would make a difference in just bugs in the summer.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I spin it around and put the back of the machine facing forward. I believe the back window would be cheaper to replace than the front window would be. I have not had to replace either one yet. Interestingly, I always pull the skid steers forward. An employee was pulling the CTL backward and when it got to the job 50 miles away, a rock had shattered the backwindow. Total cost to buy and replace was $300. The glass along on the front door glass is about that plus the time and effort to install it. So it was fortunate that he chose to back it on the trailer that day.

suladas

I spin it around and put the back of the machine facing forward. I believe the back window would be cheaper to replace than the front window would be. I have not had to replace either one yet. Interestingly, I always pull the skid steers forward. An employee was pulling the CTL backward and when it got to the job 50 miles away, a rock had shattered the backwindow. Total cost to buy and replace was $300. The glass along on the front door glass is about that plus the time and effort to install it. So it was fortunate that he chose to back it on the trailer that day.

I was shocked, rear glass on my 153 from dealer was only $200, super cheap for a massive window. Thankfully haven't found out price of the front upper, but the lower one was $175. That is cheap for CTL, my Deere aftermarket window was $375, OEM was nearly $700, the rear one I doubt would even be $100. Whoever decided CTL/Skidsteer doors should be curved so they cost a fortune needs a kick in the a$$. I hate loading a CTL forward, I find it so awkward backing it off, and the back glass is so much smaller so chances of it getting hit is way lower.

HALSJCB

Occupation
Retired
So it seems that I need to price the front and rear glass on my machine to see which glass is the cheapest to replace. Easiest to replace might be a factor also. Loading on my trailer is real easy either way since it is a 23' with 8' fixed and 15' tilt.. Thanks for the replies.

skyking1

On my mini at least, the rear glass is smaller and way up there so I think a rock strike is less likely.

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
I’ve got a 15k bumper pull. For me it’s how to best balance out the load. My old e42 had a rear aux counterweight. It balanced best with the blade and boom forward. My new e50 seem to balance best with blade forward and boom to the rear. I load it to optimize my tongue weight. My e50 with a bucket almost maxes out my trailer, so I never carry any additional equipment.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I usually always go blade forward then spin the house around rear and tuck the boom down like a real track hoe for some dumb reason lol must be habit.