• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to get rear backhoe tires off?

emmett518

Any suggestions on moving rear backhoe tires and rims? I need to mount spacers behind my rims, and am not sure how to remove these, and then lift them back into place. They must weight 400 pounds.

Would an engine crane work?

Chris

361brock

Occupation
retired
Use outriggers and lift/lower the machine to the mounting height. If you can't separate the rim from the axle, get yourself a sledge hammer and whack the rim. Why the need for spacers? wrong rims?

Tinkerer

Prolly tire chains, 361brock.
Like you said, use the stabilizer to get it a to barely clear the ground. Simply dog-walk the tire far enough so you can roll it ahead and lean it on the tractor.
If you start to lose control because it tips too far, jump out of the way like a scalded rabbit and let it flop on the ground.
Upright it with the backhoe and a chain.
You should be able to set right next to the axle then.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
emmitt,
This may sound crazy, but I have used a square point shovel (also called flat shovel) under the tire to slide it clear, and back under the studs, kinda like a tire dolly. Of course, use the stabilizers as well to position the machine.

Tire dolly:

skata

I've used a typical engine lift and chains to change wheels on a large telehandler.

skyking1

Everything that tinkerer said, and especially if you start to lose it. Those big tires will break your leg or ankle right now.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Two men can handle them. I had a tire replaced and the service guy had me lift the BH with the stabilizers. He rolled the tire toward the rear and let it fall then had me break the bead with the bucket. After he spooned the tire off and on he and an assistant picked it up and rolled it back to the hub.

If the tires are loaded all bets are off.

colson04

The last tractor tires I saw changed, the tire guy did everything with the wheel still mounted to the tractor, right in our farm driveway. Changed the outer duals on my dump truck the same way. When you have the correct tools (and the experience), tires are a pretty quick job.

As for removing a wheel for the spacer, @Tinkerer said it best, and don't be a hero of you lose control of the tire. With your backhoe and chains, you could pick it back up without extra help.